Chapter Ten: No More Secrets

The next morning

The sanctuary's walls reached high into a vaulted ceiling, and Madeline stared at it, seemingly studying the architecture but actually trying to keep the tears contained in her eyes.

The waterworks had flowed freely, from last night when she came home and sat on the floor of her shower in a numbed state to the time she lay in bed, still in her bathrobe and dripping hair. Natalie finally said she'd catch a cold and forced her into pajamas. She scrubbed Madeline's hair with a towel as her roommate spoke through heaves and hiccups. Caught in a betrayal before she could explain, she was wracked with sorrow.

Now, as worshippers stood in prayer, Madeline bent her head and cried out silently for resolution and comfort. When she raised her head and sat down, she glanced behind her and saw what she'd been hoping for.

Emma sat in the pew behind her, looking up once to make eye contact. Madeline turned around and anxiously waited for the sermon to end.

When it was over and the churchgoers filed out, the two women sat where they were in silence, each at her own bench. Finally Madeline turned to her and spoke.

"I'm glad you came," she said in a low voice. "I was almost sure you weren't going to."

"I thought about it after I got your call," Emma replied softly. "I felt some duty to Justin, I guess, but ... I also had to go to church, so ..."

Madeline smiled slightly at her remark. "Where's J.C.?" she asked.

"He's attending somewhere else today. We thought it'd be best," Emma said.

"Is he mad?"

Emma shrugged. "Lance did a pretty good job defending you," she answered. "He took Joey, Chris and J.C. into a room and when they came out, they weren't nearly as ticked off as when they walked in. Pretty calm, actually. And I talked to J.C. as well. Finally J.C. followed Justin out last night and made sure he didn't go crazy."

"So does that mean you forgive me?" Madeline asked.

Emma sighed. "I'm as fierce as a pit bull when it comes to protecting Justin," she said. "And you hurt him pretty badly. But it's between you and him. As far as me and J.C. goes, since you're not going to print the part about us, I guess there's nothing left to be mad about. But we'll breathe the sigh of relief once we see it in the paper. It's basically your word we're going on."

"I thought about not writing it at all," Madeline said miserably.

Emma shook her head. "That won't do you a lot of good. It's not going to win him back, Madeline. I can tell you that right now. Plus you'd tick off a whole new group of people – you don't need that."

She knew all this. Madeline nodded numbly. "Before the kiss happened I thought I figured out a way to write this in a version I – and everyone else – can live with. But I'd need your help, Emma. You have every right to say no."

"I know," Emma said after a pause. "We can go to your dorm and work on it."

Madeline smiled gratefully at her friend and hugged her. "I'm so glad I didn't lose you or Lance," she said. She looked at the older girl and asked gently, "How are things with you and J.C.?"

Emma lowered her eyes a little. "About the same," she answered.

"You still haven't told him, have you?"

"I just feel like it's pointless," Emma sighed. "I don't want to burden him with my woes."

Madeline looked at her as they rose to leave. "I shouldn't be the one to talk, but he's probably going nuts that you're shutting him out and not being truthful. It shouldn't be something you go through alone, Emma."