Chapter Eleven: Empty Words

"All first-class passengers are invited to board at this time," a friendly voice boomed over the loudspeaker.

He lagged behind the others, shuffling into line at the airport gate. Boarding passes were in hand, carry-on bags slung over shoulders.

You didn't even call her.

There were two people in front of him. He had time. He could always take a later flight ...

He shook his head. No.

He surveyed the waiting area one last time, envisioning her sudden appearance, running, crying, pleading.

And he would say ...

Nothing. He felt the same as he had two days ago, when she broke his heart. There was no grace.

You're just gonna have to find it, then, Emma had said.

He didn't want to find it. Clinging to bitterness was his only solace, enveloping him as he licked his wounds. He also knew he had an invisible power over her, withholding the forgiveness she sought.

It wasn't good enough, but it would have to do for now.

Coldness locked itself around his heart again, and Justin turned and handed his boarding pass to the flight attendant.

* * * * * * * * * * Two months later * * * * * * * * * *

"We're pleased to have with us on the program 'N Sync, ladies and gentlemen," the MTV veejay said, clasping his hands together and turning to the five men, all clad in khakis and collared shirts.

They waved in acknowledgment to the screaming girls sitting around the set.

"We're about to give the world premiere of your newest video, 'I Drive Myself Crazy.' Why don't you guys explain it a little for us," he said.

"Well," Joey began. "It's about having regrets about letting go of a relationship, so you've got us walking around singing, and you've got this little plotline with Justin and a girl going through the dealings of the relationship."

"Ahhh, so we have romance this time, do we? I believe that's a first. Justin, what was that like?"

The other four men looked at Justin, wondering what on Earth he'd say.

Justin paused and ran a hand through his newly dyed red hair, the result of a particularly bitter mood swing that actually turned out looking decent.

"I was pretty nervous at first," Justin began, a stoic expression on his face. "I'd never done anything like that before. So I was gonna do it with an old childhood buddy who's also an actress, but she got mono ..."

"That can't be good for a romance, especially – wait, do you guys kiss in the video?"

Justin looked alarmed. He hadn't seen the video in its completed form yet, and realized they'd never filmed the second ending. He gulped.

"You'll have to watch and find out," Lance said coyly, jumping in. "It's pretty slick."

"And this girl that's in the video with you. She was just a stranger when you began, right?" the veejay continued.

The guys nodded.

"Was she ... I dunno, cool? I mean, did you guys get along OK and everything? With all that romance, anything happen off the set?"

Pause.

Justin lowered his eyes slightly. "It's just really good acting," he said, bitterness creeping into his voice. "She's a pro."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Madeline sat like a statue in the dorm room, looking at the redhead's facial expression as the video was introduced. She had halted breathing when he spoke so she could hear every word.