Chapter Five: Winter Blues

The next day

"Hey, Smarty Pants," Justin's voice came over the phone the next morning.

Madeline groaned. "And the hits begin this early?"

"You watch. I'm already getting warmed up. Anyway, they canceled all shooting today because of the storm. They can't do the scenes they want until the snow stops falling a little."

"OK," Madeline said, looking around her room and trying to plan her day at the same time.

"What are you gonna do?" he asked.

"Well, my profs have canceled my two classes today, so I guess I have a day off."

"You wanna do something?"

She hesitated. "What do you mean?"

"Like an outing, an excursion, a quality-time moment."

"Ugh; are we bonding?"

"I thought we'd share our struggles," he said sweetly.

"Justin, you're making me cry," she said sarcastically.

"Come onnnnnn," Justin whined. "You don't have any plans. I don't wanna be trapped here forever."

"Where are the others?"

"Lance is watching T.V. but he wants to come out. Chris and Joey went somewhere, I think. Maybe they're building snow forts, I dunno. And I think J.C. and Emma took off."

"So it'd be me, you and Lance."

"Yeah. He's gonna ref in case we fight again."

There was a knock on Madeline's door.

"Hang on, Justin," Madeline said into the phone, making her way and turning the knob.

A curly-haired blond stood there, arm leaning against the doorway, cell phone in hand.

"Hurry up," he said with a grin. "Lance is waiting downstairs."

"You lied to me," she proclaimed. "You said Lance was watching T.V."

"He is. In your student lounge."

"Why you arrogant... " Madeline sputtered. "You assumed..."

"Shhhhh," Justin said sternly, raising a hand and putting a finger over his lips. "We called a cease-fire. Peace treaties have been signed. Be quiet."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And finally, this is the bookstore, where we ... well, buy books," Madeline proclaimed as Lance and Justin ambled into the entrance, the aroma of coffee filling their nostrils.

"Cozy," Lance commented, looking around.

"I think they even have a whole section on you guys," Madeline joked.

"Please," Justin said. "Let's not go there." He motioned toward the music floor, and they rode the escalators up.

There were listening stations dotted about the rows, and Lance headed toward one of them. Justin headed toward another, placing headphones over his ears and listening to rap as he studied some of the titles. Madeline walked over to him and tapped her ear. He removed the phones.

"What are you listening to?"

" 'Hard Knock Life Vol. 2.' "

She rolled her eyes. "Do you ever listen to some quality music?"

"Like what?"

Madeline held up a jazz compilation CD. "Like this."

"You should talk to J.C. about that stuff," Justin said, turning back to the racks. "Not me."