Family Ties

"Thank you... it's beautiful."  Little Clove says with a little beam of light.  

Cato then takes a look at his watch which just stroke 4:30.  "Clove we better make our way back." 

The two of them head out of the fairgrounds side by side with the sounds of laughter still upon them from behind.  Both of them neither said anything much.  Cato looked away at times thinking, thinking of what was the question that Clove wondered.  But she didn't bother to ask for her mind was else where.  Clove pulls out her pin a couple of times admiring the vibrant bird that held the arrow in it's mouth.  "What do you think about what that guy said, I mean about the bird callings?" 

He shrugs to her not really making her question such a big thing to think about right now.  "Not sure....I mean it could be true but only one could say if those who have seen it happen."   Reaching the neighborhood some houses had there lights already dimmed and from a far you could hear people calling in there children to come inside for dinner.  As Cato takes Clove to her front door Clove turns around to face him. "You gonna be okay walking home alone?"  Cato smiles softly.  "Yeah it's still bright enough that I should be fine." 

Clove starts to fiddle for a second not sure if she she hold her tongue for what she was about to say.  "And uh, make sure you check your..."  But Cato stops her short.  For his big eyes told Clove all that he knew what she was about to say.  "Yes I know Clove...I'll makes sure I do so.  Night!"

She smiles back softly and turns to open the door. Tip toeing inside she hears nothing but the faint sound of the television blaring and the odors of cigars perfuming in the air.  If that was the she knew her father was home from work.  It was always that Clove knew when her father was home, for his routine was eat dinner, watch tv on the couch and smoke a cigar.  Which that one cigar would lead to three eventually and a couple of beers on the side.   "Hey peaches!"  Said her father who seemed to be way more out of it then she thought.

"Hi dad!"  She said glumly.

"How was the fair?" As her father slowly gets up from the couch and sits upright.

Clove comes in closer to her father but yet stands close to the stair well.  "Fine, Cato and I just did a few rides and games."  Clove tries to head up to the stairs until her father encourages her to sit with him on the couch.  "Not right now dad I'm really tired and just want to go to bed."  Her father looks at her. 

"What about dinner? Said sternly.  Clove rolls her eyes a bit. 

"Cato and I ate at the fair so I'm good."  Quickly she shuffles her feet up the stairs and looks around the rooms to find her mom on her bed.  Quietly she enters the room.  "Hey mom I'm home."  Her mother Grace was a tall slender women who truly lived up to her name.  She had that soft brown hair down to her shoulders, big brown eyes that could possibly be a emerald if you let it be and a kind voice for who ever she talked to you could easily make a conversation to. 

"Hey sweetie how was the fair?"  Grace pictures to frame up(her newest project).  For Clove knew that once her mother got into one thing it would last for only so long and then a new one would soon develop.  If Clove really thought about it she maybe could count that her mother had over 20 unfinished projects.  Clove slowly walks to her mothers bed side as if she couldn't take another step forward.  Leaning into her mothers shoulders she quietly says that she had a nice time.   Her mother places her chin on her daughters head and beamed at her. 

"Look what I found just now?"  Clove lifts herself up to look over her mothers shoulder.  For the picture held a school photo of Cato and herself on their first day of school of that past year.  Clove laughs at the photo and takes it from her mother to see it better. 

"This is great, I remember that day really well."  As she points to Cato.  "Look at Cato and his sun glasses, he always felt he needed to stand out in the crowd.  Even if it was the first day."  Grace laughs at her daughters comment and then glances at her in the photo. 

"And then there's you, so tiny and shy and with those cute braids If I may add."  Clove looks duly at her mother as if she hated that her mother referred her to as shy.  But instead of saying anything she changed the subject.  

"I'm going to go take a bath and go to bed."  Grace was standing near her desk retriving a frame. 

"Ok well honey don't forget to say goodnight before you get in bed."

Clove turns around at the doorway.  "I won't.

****

Cato's P.O.V. when he arrives home:

Cato reaches his front porch and brushes his feet onto the doormat.  Swiftly he enters into the house and is greeted by is two dogs Bailey and Mason.  Who both scrambled onto him to get his attention.  "Hey guys!"  Said Cato who just made them even more excited and practically jumped at his face. 

"Zane don't get them all wild up we just got them calmed down."  Zane was Cato's middle name and his mother liked using it when she really needed to get his attention.  Cato takes off his coat and hangs it on the coat rack.  "Hi sweetie how was the fair?"  Said his mother Elizabeth coaxing him to follow her into the kitchen as she washes the dishes.

"It was fine.  Clove whipped me good on this one game."  Elizabeth hands him a plate to dry as he encourages him to help.  "Oh really?  Now how is that possible...my son who is good at everything, so he thinks." 

She moves her head in closer to give him a funny face with a slight laugh.  He too joins in and hands her the dry plate. 

"Yeah I know, but really you should have seen her.  We had to throw these darts to pop these balloons and she just had this way of seeing it and shooting at it with no problem."   His mother swipes her finger on his nose.  "Well she must have some sort of talent I guess!  By the way did you eat something?" 

Cato's smile soon fades.  "Yes I did mom."  Elizabeth puts the dish towel on her shoulder and turns to put some condiments in the fridge. 

"I hope it was all healthy."  Cato gets impatient for he knew where this was leading. 

"Yes mom don't worry I made sure it was somewhat healthy, I mean you can only ask for so much at a fair." 

She nods for she understood what her son was meaning.  "Good well why don't you go up stairs shower and take your...."  But Cato interrupts her. 

"Yes I know mom I will.  You don't have to remind me every time like i know you always do." 

His mother calmly takes a breath in and kneels herself into the island table to look at her son.  "I know that and I know your very capable to not forget.  I just worry about you as a mother ok?" 

Cato nods.  "Yeah I know, I know."  Just then to break up the tension the kettle starts to whistle from the stove.  "I'm going to go up stairs."  Cato turns around and encourages the dogs to follow him.  Elizabeth watches from a distance smiles softly and heads to the kettle to retrieve herself a cup of hot tea.  Quietly and softly Cato closes his door not until after he opened it for Bailey who whimpered to come in.  "Come on in girl."  With the gesture he gave Bailey excitedly runs in and jumps on his bed.  Cato approaches the dog and pats his bed  Cato approaches the dog and pats her head.  The dog consumes the attention and starts to lick Cato's hand.  Quickly he releases his hand. 

"That's gross Bailey!"  Rapidly he wipes his now slobbering hand on his right pant leg.  Which were actually brand new that his mom bought for hime just two days ago. 

Soon after Cato jumped out of the shower he shuffles into bed and reads the last few chapters of The Lion, The Witch And the Wardrobe.  it was a simple read for him but he always was one to fall for fantasy stories.  For him it wasn't about the magic, yet it was more on the possibilities  of what may be.  Sometimes he felt like a nerd believing in such things but it was all a simple pleasure.  After reading the final chapter Cato glances at his clock which read: 10:15 pm.  He knew that if he didn't go to sleep soon his mom would complain the next day if he looked tired and remind him.  How many times have I told you not to read before bed?  For this is what happens when you do.  So in assuming that he places the book beside his night stand and turns out the lights.