Chapter 16,17/Part 9

17

 17. Here we go!

When I got into the cell, Peter was lying above me in his bed, which calmed me down. I heard his breathing and fell asleep soon. I slept for a long time, as long as is actually only possible in fairy tales:

"Mum? "

"Yes, Luca!"

"Why is the girl in the book sleeping for so long?"

"It's Sleeping Beauty."

"But she sleeps so long. Is she that tired?" In the book there were bright colours and a castle with a hedge. Sleeping Beauty was very beautiful.

"It's a spell."

"Is the spell evil, Mum?"

"A little bit, maybe."

"You can't put people to sleep if they don't want to."

"But you're allowed to do that with little boys?" My mother laughed, her hair was open.

"No, you mustn't, because I'm not tired at all."

"Aren't you?"

"No, because I'm the prince who saves everyone."

"Will you please save me too?"

I gave her a big kiss. Her lips were soft and smelled very delicately of roses.

Once I dreamed that mother herself and Urs had been there:

"How could this happen?" she asked in her croaky voice.

"I don't know. I really don't know, Mother. Believe me!" She replied with a snide snort.

"The brat wanted to escape. He can run like hell. I see him in front of the gate and I think I'll ask Solomon with his dogs."

"And Solomon happened to be there?"

"Yes!...No!", Urs pressed on. "He was making a delivery from the city and couldn't cross the embankment in his car at high tide. That's when he stayed for a game."

"You shouldn't play such games anymore, since then..."

"A card game, mother, I swear...just a card game."

"You know I need him. You know that?" It sounded like Urs was in pain, but I had my eyes closed.

"Next time you play your stupid games with someone else. If this one dies, it will be war!"

"I'll never do it again!", Urs pressed out.

"And one more thing! If he doesn't come to, you lose your thumb. Then it's all over with cards, you fool! I'll cut it off myself, so you'll learn something. Your chances are fifty-fifty.