Chapter Three: Modern Medicine

Someone coming out of the Insticare stopped and stared, and for a moment, Hugo couldn't figure out why, until he followed the gaze to the ostentatiously dressed prince and he realized something. He'd never gotten Varian any clothes to change into.

"Uh, t-this way, Prince Varian," he said sheepishly, not wanting to make the prince even more anxious by pointing out how much he stuck out.

He stopped outside the door when he saw a sign reading, No weapons past this point, and turned back to look at the sword still hanging on Varian's hip.

"Is something the matter?" the prince asked.

Now walking in front of a swordless Varian into the clinic, Hugo's face flushed with embarrassment as all eyes turned on them. The prince didn't seem in any way perturbed by this, and Hugo realized being stared at was an everyday occurrence for him, so of course he didn't mind. They walked to the front desk.

"Hello, how may I help you?" the receptionist asked.

"Here for a UTI. No, he doesn't have insurance. We'll pay out of pocket."

"Alright. What's the first and last name?"

"Varian... um..." Hugo glanced behind him.

"Prince Varian."

"Yes, but," he lowered his voice, "what's your last name?"

"Last name?" he hissed. "I have none."

He clicked his tongue. Right. Royals back then often didn't have surnames. "It's Varian... Wilde." He cringed at himself for giving the prince his own last name.

"Alright, Varian Wilde," she said sweetly. "And the birthday?"

Varian answered, "The twenty-first of June, 152—"

"2002," Hugo finished sheepishly, and thankfully, the lady didn't even blink as she put in the information.

"Okay, I'll just have you fill out this paperwork, Varian, and we'll call you when we're ready."

Hugo took the clipboard, said thanks, and led the prince to a chair.

Varian sat primly on the edge of it, gazing around. "Everything is so white here, and dry."

"Yes, nice, isn't it?" He distractedly began filling out the forms.

"I suppose. I find my eyes tired at the sight of it. Hugo," his voice wavered slightly, "my nerves have gotten the better of me. Will the cure hurt?"

He looked up at the tired, red rimmed eyes and it reminded him so much of a scared puppy at the vet. "It'll be alright. Medicine in this time period is so much better than what you're used to. No leeches, remember?"

"Yes, no leeches."

"Varian?" A nurse called out.

He stood at once, and Hugo led him over to the woman who eyed the decadent prince curiously after taking the clipboard.

"Which one of you is Varian?"

"That is Prince V—"

"The fancy one," Hugo interrupted.

"Oh, are you dressed for an event?"

The prince went to open his mouth, but Hugo cut him off again. "Yeah, we were just at a renaissance fair. He really gets into it."

"How fun! So, you came in for a UTI, is that right, Varian?"

Seeming to understand that Hugo was covering for him, the prince nodded. "I-I do not know what I have. I have fever, chills, and this part of me that hurts." He held his lower half.