Chapter Nine: Killing the Mood

"I must confess something to you."

He searched the freckled face, his heart thumping loudly. "L-like what, Varian?"

"I had meant to tell you this very thing at the restaurant we went to."

"Wait, which restaurant?"

"The one in which your ex texted you concerning Mittens." He bit his lip. "The one where afterwards that whole event occurred where I..." His words trailed off.

"Got jealous of Cyrus?" he finished, and he received a glare.

"I was not—a prince never displays something as primitive as jealousy."

"Uh huh." Hugo fought to keep a sober expression in place. "Of course. So then, what'd you want to confess to me exactly?"

"Oh, well..." Varian swallowed. "You see, opening myself to you has been so wonderful. I have never in my life felt so joyous than when I am with you, but as you know, this closeness frightens me. Not because the thought of us..." he hesitated then exhaled quickly, "well, it is rather, that the thought of us not sharing in ardor for one another frightens me. Hugo, I love you, but I am uncertain if you feel similarly or if what we have is even meant to be when we are from such entirely different backgrounds."

"You... love me?" Hugo searched his face, a small firework going off in his chest.

"Yes," he answered without hesitation. "I have been infatuated with you since the beginning, but lately it has been more than that. The thought of you being with another and not me..." A hand came up to his heart. "What agony I feel at the mere thought of that. I felt it when I thought you were reunited with Cyrus, and it nearly broke my heart in two. I do not normally consider myself one to exclusively see one partner, but for you, I feel the need to make an exception."

"Oh." He blinked. "Varian, you don't have to be monogamous for me. I would be open to you exploring something else with someone if you wish."

"And I am open to exploring just this with you, Hugo."

He stared, realizing how significant that was until he was resting a hand gently over Varian's in the water. "Varian, I love you too."

"You do?"

"Mm hm. It's funny, because I was ready to kiss you at that restaurant, but you were the one who pulled away."

"You... truly?" Hugo nodded. "Oh dear. I completely read everything incorrectly then."

"That's okay. I kinda thought you might have feelings for me."

"You did? Why did you not say anything?"

"I was scared too. I didn't realize you felt as strongly for me as I've been feeling for you." He gravitated closer, eyes half lidding as he glanced down at his mouth. "Since meeting you, my life has been much brighter, and I was finally able to overcome my insecurities when I realized someone so wonderful cared about me."

Varian searched his face, then stole a glance around them bashfully. "Um... It is acceptable for two men to be in public in a romantic setting, correct?"

"Yes."

"So, if we kissed right now, that would be appropriate?"

Corners turning upward, Hugo lifted a wet hand to caress Varian's jawline, whispering, "More than appropriate," before bringing their faces together. 

The prince accepted his lips eagerly.

Hugo hadn't realized how much he'd been holding back all this time, his self-control dissolving with each kiss. It seemed Varian felt the same, since the slow, innocent kisses and caresses quickly turned breathy and passionate.