The Secretary

One month had now passed since you moved in with Team Dark. While sitting in the living room after filing Team Dark's papers, you noticed Zero standing on his own, about to take his 1st steps. Grabbing your phone: You began to record the tot as he toddled over to you.

"Clever boy! Mummy is so proud of you!" You exclaimed, clapping your hands.

Zero mimicked you and clapped his hands, letting out a giggle. 

"Oh, your father would be so proud of you." You muttered, thinking about Infinite.    

You wanted to one day find out which prison Infinite was located in, so you could one day visit him. Shadow had already made demands that you were to never see him again, but you just wanted to hear his side of the story one more time.  The pang of guilt you felt, knowing that Zero was already calling Shadow Dada and would eventually be adopted by Shadow. Hearing the sound of a motorbike outside, Zero toddled to the front door to greet his so-called father.

"Dada!" He screamed, placing his arms in the air for Shadow to pick him up.

"Oh, you're walking my son," Shadow said, picking up Zero.

"He just took his first steps about 10 minutes ago." You told Shadow.

"Too bad I didn't come earlier." He responded, pretending to pull off Zero's nose.

"I got your nose." He said, placing a hand behind his back. 

"Back!" Zero cooed, while Shadow pretended to put his nose back on. 

While this scene was unfolding Rouge walked through the door. 

"Rouge can you watch Zero? I need to talk to your name in private." Shadow asked, placing Zero in Rouge's arms.

"No problem, you love birds and need some special time," Rouge responded, winking at Shadow.

"I don't mean that," Shadow growled.

"Whatever," Rouge muttered, while Shadow took my hand and pulled me aside out onto the deck. 

"Y/N I have the adoption papers for Zero, I just need you to sign them, and we will get them verified in court this month," Shadow announced, producing the papers from a backpack. 

You went silent for about a minute; you knew Shadow would eventually adopt Zero, but now Infinite would have no say.

"Uhm...Ok." You respond, feeling a knot in your stomach.

"Is something wrong?" Shadow asked, placing a hand on your shoulder. 

"Just Infinite has had no say in this matter." You reply, thinking about Infinite who had never had the chance to know his child. 

"That Mutt is insane; he shall have no say in this!" Shadow replied, gritting his teeth. 

"But what if he's changed?" You questioned, thinking of how much guilt he felt after you found him. 

"Nobody ever changes!" Shadow growled, slamming his fist on a deck rail.

"If that's true, then I shouldn't trust you after you tried to destroy our planet. " You responded, trying to bring sense to the hedgehog. 

Shadow then turned his back and walked away from you, back inside the house. Following him you yelled: 

"Should I trust you or not?" 

He then turned around and responded: "I was led to believe that's what Maria wanted."

"What if Infinite truly believed something like that?" You asked, following him into the living room. 

"He didn't! He was a pathetic coward because I told him never to show his face again." Responded, sitting down on the sofa. 

"You wiped out his squad." You uttered, remembering what Infinite told you. 

"They deserved it." He said, grunting.

"Hey, don't argue, Zero doesn't need to see such nonsense." Rouge declared, walking towards you and pulling you aside. 

You left Zero with Shadow while Rouge led you to her bedroom. 

"What happened girl?" Rouge asked, whispering. 

"Shadow isn't letting Infinite have a say in Zero's adoption. " You respond, tears dripping down your face.  

"I think Shadow is the best father for Zero, but if it helps ease your mind I could sneak you in for a visit with Infinite," Rouge whispers, turning her head to make sure nobody is listening. 

"How?" You ask, keeping your voice low. 

"Tomorrow afternoon, we will send Shadow to the park with Zero on a Daddy and Son bonding outing. Then we girls we have a secret meeting with Infinite in the jail." Rouge responds, winking at you.

"You could do that for me?" You question, knowing Infinite would be in solitary confinement.

"Only if a government agent like me is present." She replies, smiling at you as you both walk back to the living room. 

When you return to the living room, you find Shadow on the floor helping Zero stack some wooden blocks. Every time Shadow built a tower, Zero would knock it down and giggle.

"Hey Mr Sunshine, Me and Y/N are going on a girls' shopping trip tomorrow afternoon, we are wondering if you and Zero would like a father and son bonding outing to the park, while we girls shop until we drop. " Rouge, knowing Shadow wouldn't decline, since he wanted to prove he could be Daddy of the Year.

"Sure, and Zero will have a great," Shadow responded, continuing to play with the tot.

Little did he know that you girls were really about to see his arch-nemesis.