XIX

30th november

you woke up rather late, by the time your eyes opened was 11 in the morning already, and the exam was no more than 3 hours away. for some reason, you found yourself in your bed, despite remembering falling asleep on the couch. it was like deja vu. you ignored the feeling.

getting ready and going downstairs you were surprised to see scaramouche still here. he was sitting on the couch reading some papers, you assumed they were about physics.

"good morning." you greeted, coming downstairs.

scaramouche turned his head in your direction. "good morning."

"so... how did i get to my bed?" standing next to him, you asked, a tad awkwardly.

scaramouche didn't immediately answer, he first finished reading a page before speaking, "i carried you up after you fell asleep on the couch."

"oh."

you couldn't think of anything else to say at the moment. the thought of someone carrying you again was pretty embarrassing, especially with what happened with the wanderer. now that bits and pieces of that night came flooding back to you, it made things even worse.

scaramouche didn't seem much bothered by it, as he nonchalantly kept revising. who knows what was going on in his head.

"well uh, sorry for the trouble. you could have left me on the couch but thanks anyway," you finally said something, when the silence became too heavy for you.

"you're welcome," he politely, which was unexpected, replied and continued reading. you noticed that he was near the end of his stack of papers and seemed to have gone through a lot already.

seeing his focus, you decided to leave him alone and instead headed to the kitchen. arriving there you realized you didn't have the slightest wish to cook and went back to the living room where your study material also laid in a neat pile on the coffee table.

you sat down on the carpeted floor and began studying. by the time you deemed it was enough, it was time to head to school and write that exam.

you and scaramouche went together. last night's blizzard was nowhere in sight, the snow melted and bright sun shone upon the road. as you walked, you discussed some concepts as a form of revising and didn't notice the time passing.

the physics exam was divided into two parts, each thirty-five minutes long with a twenty-minute break in between. entering the exam room, one of the teachers asked for your class and name before pointing out a specific seat for you.

because scaramouche was in a different class, he was on the other side of the room. looking around some more you noticed xiangling coming in and hoped her seat is somewhat near yours.

luckily, it was. so before the exam officially began, you chatted with her. your talk mostly consisted of talking about what kind of questions you think will be in the exam and potential solutions.

at last, the bell rang, signaling it was time for the exam. with a quick speech from one of the teachers, it was time to write.

75 minutes later you were walking home with scaramouche. or at least in the direction of your house.

"that reminds me, wanna paint mugs?" you asked, remembering their existence

"alright." most of the time scaramouche seemed to agree to your ideas without a second thought, almost like a puppy you thought.

the walk was quiet, you didn't speak a lot and scaramouche didn't make an effort to have a conversation. you thought that he was so soft because he was still in a focused state. yesterday you came to the realization that when scaramouche is studying, he tends to get very focused and quiet, the only thing getting him out of that state is time.