five.

We do a lot of walking.

   I count in my head as we do. I count to thirteen 37 times before we reach the river of death as Ellie calls it.

   My birthday was two days ago, I didn't tell anyone.

   "The river of death! Scary," Ellie mocks, Joel rolling his eyes.

   "Don't start. It's close to dark we'll set up camp then cross in the morning," He determines.

   Ellie grins, "good, I'm starving. Should've stolen two rabbits."

   Joel rolls his eyes, he does that a lot, "we can get our own rabbits."

   Ellie's interest is peaked, "you gonna teach me how?"

   "Just keep moving."

   We walk more until we find a cave and then we set up camp. I sit close to the fire and watch the sky as Joel tapes his shoes. He looks up at me and we hold eye contact for a moment.

   Then he looks away.

   "Come down from there, you're going to break your neck," he calls up to Ellie.

   She hops down from the rock she was on, taking a seat beside me. I lean into her and continue to watch Joel.

   He pulls out a flask and Ellie snickers, "ohoho, can I have some?"

   "No."

   I could've told her the answer to that one.

   "Come on! Just to warm up."

   Joel seems reluctant before handing over the flask, Ellie grins in delight and takes a long sip. "Yup, still gross," she determines, handing it back.

   Ellie begins to ramble again and I feel my eyelids grow heavy. I hear something about Joel and sheep and I smile to myself, sinking further into Ellie.

   I think I'll get some sleep tonight.

* * *

   My eyes open and sweat sticks my hair to my head.

   Another nightmare.

   I look around and see Ellie and Joel both passed out. Joel has his gun in his hands so he must've fallen asleep on watch.

   Slowly standing I grab Joel's gun and make my way to the entrance of the cave. I sit down and lean back against the cold stone, watching the orange sky.

   The sun will be up soon.

   I sit and count and count and count.

   When I hear something I turn my head, Joel's awake now.

   "You're supposed to wake me up if I fall asleep," he grumbles.

   I nod at this, "sorry."

   He shakes his head, "it's okay it's just, I'm responsible for you."

   I look up when he says this and he looks away.

   I smile, "I'm thirteen now."

   He looks at me in confusion before realizing, "when?"

   "Three days ago, sorry I didn't tell you."

   He plants a hand on my head as he takes his gun with the other, "happy birthday."

   He doesn't smile as he says this but he doesn't need to.

   I smile big enough for both of us, "thanks."

   After a while we wake Ellie up and we pack our stuff. We find our way back to the river and Ellie makes more scary death comments about it.

   Joel rolls his eyes about seven times.

   Getting across isn't hard as there's a bridge and no one in sight. When we're on the other side Ellie starts her shenanigans again.

   She blows hard through her mouth and I give her a strange look.

   "I'm learning how to whistle," she explains.

   Joel scoffs, "you don't know how to whistle?"

   "Does it sound like I know how to whistle?"

   She grows frustrated trying again, "how the fuck do you do this?!"

   "Talent," guess who.

   I smile and press my lips together, a light airy sound forming from them. Ellie turns to me, shocked, and I grin.

   "You fucker!" she pushes me over and I laugh.

   We walk more and make it to an old dam.

   Ellie grins as a pun forms in her mind, "Damn."

   Joel and I give her the same incredulous look and she laughs much too hard for the unfunny joke she made.

   "So this made electricity?" she asks once she's caught her breath and I look up to Joel curiously.

   He looks down at me, "don't ask, I don't have a clue."

   I break into a grin as he begins to walk away, Ellie following, "you could've lied. We would've believed you."

   More walking and more comments from Ellie. We make it to a river, that's an unusual bright blue and I wander down to the water. I can hear Ellie and Joel bickering behind me as I let the water stream through my fingers.

   Joel calls me, "let's go, we're leaving!"