epilogue.

"You can't protect her forever."

   Marlene's voice rings through Joel's ears, his brows furrowed and his grip on the steering wheel tightening. He loosened his grip, sighing as he looked into the rearview, Ellie slowly sitting up in the backseat.

   She slightly panicked, Joel calmly assuring her, "it's me, you're with me."

   Ellie looked down at her gown, "where are my clothes?"

   "Everything was lost in the raid, we'll pick you up new ones on the way."

   Everything.

   Ellie nodded, glancing around the vehicle, "where's Athy?"

   Joel gripped the steering wheel, avoiding the question, "raiders showed up and killed everyone, the doctor too. I barely got you out of there safe."

   A sick feeling began to form in Ellie's stomach.

   "Joel, where is Athy?"

   Joel shook his head, "I tried kid, I promise I tried."

   It was silent for a moment before her cries filled the car.

   Ellie began to hyperventilate, tears pour from her eyes as she struggled to suck in breaths, Joel turning to her. "Ellie breathe, breathe babygirl."

   The brunette ignored him, turning to open the car door, only to find it locked. She hit the seat, "J-Joel! She's- I can't!"

   She tried for the door again, Joel slowing the car and unlocking the doors to grant her her freedom. Ellie immediately burst from the suv, falling into the grass on the side of the road as she grasped at her hair.

   "She's dead, she's dead."

   Joel knelt next to her, slowly wrapping his arms around her, "Ellie I'm sorry."

   As he watched her cry a lump formed in his throat, his own tears managing to push themselves from his eyes.

   He failed.

   Again.

* * *

   Joel put the car in park, the two sitting in silence as they looked up at the motel. One that was all too familiar. It was where Athena first lost everything.

   Sighing, Joel pushed open his car door, stepping out into the sun. Ellie follows his lead, the two meeting around the back in front of the trunk.

   Joel popped the trunk, the figure of a girl they knew far too well covered by a white sheet. Joel took the time to gently lift her, Ellie straying away from him. She walked over to two piles of dirty notepads on top of one.

   The notepad was dirty and wet from the elements and illegible but she could still remember what it said.

   She could never forget.

   Joel appeared beside the girl with a shovel a moment later and he began to dig.

   Ellie remembered a time she had caught Athena counting, just to the number thirteen, over and over again. So she sat down and began to count.

   Once she had counted 63 times Joel was finished digging.

* * *

   They had been at the motel for three days.

   Joel had been avoiding Ellie for most of that time.

   Not that Ellie minded, she had spent the majority of her time outside.

   She had counted 2457 times when she felt something nudge her shoulder. Turning, she found a dog. It was a brown doodle and looked as though it was smiling at Ellie.

   The dog sat beside her, wagging her tail.

   Ellie's eyes widened, "A-Athy?"

   She barked.

   "Athy, are you kidding me?!" The dog jumped up, wagging her tail as she bounded in circles around Ellie.

   "Ellie!" Joel called, glaring at the dog that was currently tramping over her grave. He rushed over, shooing the dog away, "Ellie what're you doing?"

   Ellie laughed, her first laugh in days, allowing the dog to lick her face, "cmon Joel! We have to keep her! Doesn't she remind you of someone?"

   Joel narrowed his eyes at the dog, "no."

   Ellie rolled her eyes, "come on please."

   Joel just sighed, Ellie taking this as a yes and pumping her fist into the air as the dog danced around her.

   "Okay we'll call you," she hummed, "May!"

   Joel's bit back a smile as he watched May and Ellie play together. He took a seat, watching the two. Once Ellie had exhausted herself she turned to Joel, May lying in her lap.

   "Joel?"

   "Hm?"

   "Can you- can you promise me something?"

   Joel frowned, "what?"

   "Everything you said about the fireflies and Athy, it's all true."

   The two held eye contact. Joel could see all the trust Ellie had for him swirling in her eyes. All he needed to do was tell her the truth.

   "It's true."