twelve.

My breath catches as I look at Ellie, the girl preparing to stand. I shake my head at her, tears falling down my cheeks but she ignores me, standing and chucking her piece of wood at him.

   David dodges and the wood lands behind him, lighting a curtain on fire. It isn't long before the smell of smoke fills the air, the temperature increasing.

   "There's no way out ladies, the doors are locked, and I have the keys," David taunts.

   At no response he begins to call out Ellie's name, "Ellie? Ellie?"

   I push my back further into the wall, tears forcing themselves from my eyes as I try to hold back my sobs, clasping a hand over my mouth.

   "Ellie, I know you're not infected. No one infected fights this hard to stay alive."

   Ellie turns to me, motioning for me to stay still as she crawls across the carpet to the next booth. Before I can tell her no she's gone, out of sight.

   "So how'd you do it? What's your secret? Or are you just that fucking special," he sounds angry, "no one likes being humiliated Ellie. You don't know how good I am! You don't know what I could've given you! If you'd just let me!"

   Smoke fills the room and the crack of wood rotting through the fire fills the air every few seconds. My nails dig into my palms as I listen to David rave.

   I find myself wishing Joel was here.

   David starts again, "well I have news for you, neither one of us is dying today. You see I've changed my mind, I've decided you do need a father, both of you. So I'm gonna keep you and I'm gonna teach you."

   I hold my breath as I feel the floor board next to me creak, David's boots mere inches away. Suddenly he ducks down, grinning.

   My eyes widen.

   "Ellie!

   He grabs my ankle dragging me from my hiding place as I try and fight him, "no! Stop it!"

   He kicks me in the side before grabbing my arms, taking position on top of me. He grins, laughing as I scream at him, "oho, I thought you knew. The fighting is the part I like the most."

   My ears ring at the sound of my screams.

   "No, no, no, stop please!" I sob as he pins my arms above my head. I feel my shirt slightly lift at this action and I squeeze my eyes shut.

   I want no part of me exposed to this man.

   Ignoring my cries of protest he grips both of my wrists with one hand as he slides the other slowly down my arm and to my torso. He grins, "don't be afraid, there's no fear in love."

   Suddenly he's thrown away from me by Ellie, the girl pouncing on top of him and stabbing him in the gut. She goes to add another blow but he grabs her, flipping her over and slamming her head into the ground, "That's right Ellie, you do need a father."

   I gasp, only inhaling dirty air as I sit up, rubbing my bruised wrist. I can see Ellie screaming but I can only hear the pounding of my own heart.

   "Athy! Athy the knife!"

   I hear Henry's voice ring in my ears.

   I know my brothers are gone but I still listen.

   I look up, David's knife a few inches from me Further ahead I see Ellie's hand reaching towards it. One small push, I slide it to her and she jams it into David's neck.

   I avert my eyes as Ellie stabs the man.

   I start to count.

   Halfway through my second time counting to thirteen I lose my balance, falling forward. Before I can hit the ground Ellie catches me, pulling me close to her chest.

   She smears the tears on my cheeks, "come on, let's go."

   "I can't," I cry, shaking my head.

   She ignores me, pulling me to stand with her. She wraps an arm around my shoulder and leads me to the doors. I can only count to thirteen three times before we burst out into the cold air.

   We only make it a few steps before I felt a hand around my arm, "no...no get off!"

   Ellie quickly turns, swinging her fist at the person, "leave us alone!"

   Joel easily catches her fist, pulling us into him, "it's me, it's me."

   I sink into him and my knees give in, Joel sinking to the ground with me. He wraps his warm hands around my cheeks, forcing me to look up at him, "it's okay, it's okay baby girl I got you."

   Tears slip from my eyes and Joel looks up to Ellie, pulling her down to him. "What happened? What happened?"

   Ellie shakes her head at him, wrapping her arms around the man.

   Joel sits still for a moment before reciprocating the hug, pulling me in to join, "it's all okay. You're okay, you're safe.

   And I believe him.