Chapter 7

"Alright you pick out what you want. I'm gonna get something for me and Toby" Dean tells Noah as they walk around the store holding hands. "What about Sammy?" Noah asks as he looks up at Dean. "Sammy said he didn't want anything, he's probably not hungry yet" Dean answers him getting a nod from the boy. "I look there?" The four year old asks pointing towards the fridge that held minerals. "Yeah ok but don't move from there. I want to keep an eye on you" Dean instructs him. "Ok" Noah agrees then makes his way over to the fridge to look at all the drinks. Dean moves over to look at the sandwiches before choosing a bacon one for him and a ham and chicken for Toby. When he looks back up he sees Noah coming back over struggling to hold four bottles in his arms making him chuckle. "Why have you got four? Sammy doesn't want anything, remember?" Dean reminds him taking two of the bottles from him. "I know but he might get thirsty, so we should get him some water just in case" Noah states his reasons bringing a smile to Dean's face at the thoughtful gesture. "Alright then. Now what do you want to eat?" He asks him gesturing at the sandwiches in front of them but Noah doesn't really look at them. He looks at the ones in Dean's arms and points at the one meant for Toby "what that?". Dean tells him what it is and Noah says he wants the same thing. He then shows Dean the apple flavored fruit shoot and asks "I get this too, please?". "Yeah you can get that too" Dean agrees with a smile. With their items now picked out they head towards the register to pay. 

"Here Sammy" Noah says lifting the bottle of water up so he can dangle it through the passenger side window. "Oh thanks" Sam says in surprise having not asked for anything. "He thought you might get thirsty later on" Dean tells his brother who smiles gratefully at Noah. Dean then turns his attention to Toby who was putting petrol in the car "you nearly finished?". "Yeah just a bit more" Toby states watching the meter in front of him. "Alright I figure we hit Tucumcari by lunch then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight" Dean explains his idea only it looks like Sam isn't listening. "Sam wears women's underwear" he mutters making Toby and Noah laugh. "I'm listening I'm just busy" Sam tells him just as Toby is finished filing the tank. He leans his back against the car and reaches into the back seat to grab his sandwich "doing what?". "Reading emails" Sam answers not looking up from his phone. Dean notices Noah struggling to open his fruit shoot so he takes it and opens it before handing it back to him. "Thank you" the young boy tells him then takes a sip of his drink. Dean just places a fond hand on his head before looking back at his brother "emails from who?". "From my friends at Stanford" Sam answers again making Dean and Toby look at him with confusion. "You're kidding, you still keep in touch with your college buddies" Dean says. "Why not?" Sam asks them not seeing a problem. "Well you would have to lie to them all the time since you can't tell them the truth" Toby points out. "What exactly do you tell them?" Dean asks his brother. "I tell 'em I'm on a road trip with my family. I tell 'em I needed some time off after Jess". "I was right, you lie to them" Toby states hopping into the back seat with Noah so they could sit down. "No, I just don't tell them" Sam tries to deny but hesitates when saying the last word "everything". "Hate to break it to you Sammy but that's called lying" Toby tells him from the backseat taking a bite of his sandwich. "Hey man I get it. Telling the truth is far worse" Dean says with a small chuckle. "So what am I suppose to do? Just cut everybody out of my life" Sam questions getting a shrug from Dean "you're serious?!". "Look it sucks but in a job like this you can't get close to people" Dean states making Toby scoff. "So did I just imagine our whole relationship and marriage under the influence of some sort of drug?" He sarcastically asks his husband with a bucket load of sass. Noah giggles round the food in his puffed up cheeks. Dean looks through the window at Toby and rolls his eyes "you know what I mean". "I think what you meant to say is we can't get close to people who don't know about this life" Toby corrects him with a smirk. "Whatever" Dean mutters standing up straight again. "God" Sam quietly exclaims grabbing the others attention. "What?" Toby and Dean ask him in sync. Toby leans forward to lean on the front seats and look over Sam's shoulder while Dean leans down to look in the window. "I got this email from this girl Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine" Sam tells them. "Is everything ok?" Toby asks him in concern. "I went to school with her and her brother Zack. She says Zack has been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend but Rebecca says he didn't do it. Sounds like the cops have a pretty good case". "Dude what kind of people are you hanging out with?" Dean wonders in slight surprise. "No man I know Zack he's no killer" Sam insists with a shake of his head. "Well maybe you know Zack as well as he knows you" Dean counters. "They're in St. Louis, we're going" Sam states not taking no for an answer. "Look sorry about your buddy, ok? This does not sound like our kind of problem" the older brother says hoping Sam will change his mind. "It is our problem they're my friends" Sam continues to insist. "St. Louis is four hundred miles behind us Sam" Dean argues pointing back the way they came. "Oh come on Dean, it's not as if we have a case picked out at the moment. Let Sam check up on his friends" Toby softly tells Dean hoping it would finally convince him to go. It does.