Chapter VIII - Behind Masks

Kota took off his black cloak as he turned a corner on one of the higher levels of the castle. Then he glanced around before placing it down on a small table next to him. He fixed his red tunic over his white shirt by straightening the fabric and the leather straps the lay across his chest and ran onto his right shoulder. After nodding at the way he looked, he ran his fingers through his hair, which was slicked back, and then he heard a groan coming from around the corner.

"Are you still fidgeting with your dress?" asked Kota as he peeked around the corner.

Sonya was straightening the fabric of her red dress laced with gold-colored material. Kota moved up to her before grabbing the black cloak from around her shoulders, and she asked him, "Can't I rip the dress just a bit? I mean, I am wearing armor and not to mention, I hate gloves."

Kota laughed as he looked at her fidgeting with the short-sleeved dress. A decorative piece of armor plating over her chest fit her form, and the bodice under the armor added flair to the outfit. He stopped her from fidgeting and grabbed the armor plating around her shoulders. Kota turned her around before tightening the leather straps that went across her back. "You are the one who demanded some armor to help protect you at an elegant dance where no fighting would occur. There, is that better?" he asked as she spun around.

She moved her upper torso and shoulders, feeling what he had adjusted. "That is a little better, but I still do not wear dresses. I am a fighter, not something to be shown off," exclaimed Sonya as she twirled in her dress, feeling stressed.

Kota reached up to his mask and tightened the laces behind his head before turning to Sonya. "You look great, Sonya, a genuine spark among those who would wear dresses. Now make sure your mask is secure. We want no complications tonight."

She moved her hands behind her head before tying the straps of the mask under her ponytail. When she finished, Kota reached out his arm to wrap her arm within his, and they began moving toward the main dining hall of the castle. The two of them admired the walls as they passed many artifacts and paintings of the history of his kingdom. They walked arm in arm until they reached a door on the outside of the main hall, where Sonya froze.

"Remember, we are only here to meet the king when he is alone. Try to relax. We do not want to draw any attention to ourselves, so act as if you belong here. You are my responsibility, after all." Kota smiled as he watched Sonya's face under the red mask go sour, thinking about the other side of the door.

Sonya looked at the guards who stood by the door as Kota kept his eyes on her before they reached the doors, where they began hearing elegant music and the sound of guests mingling. She took a deep breath as the two moved for the door, and Kota placed his hand on hers. Before they reached it, the guards started opening the door.

Sonya leaned in and whispered, "Just remember who the dead prince here is. No unnecessary risks."

Kota nodded as the doors opened to a massive dining hall littered with elegant fabrics from pillar to pillar. Different-colored flames burned around the torches on the walls, and there were tables on the perimeter as people danced in the middle to the string music that filled the room. The room filled itself with people in different-colored dresses and outfits, all with matching masks to conceal their identities from those around them.

Kota turned his attention to a fire caller dressed in elegant, skintight clothing who stood by the king's throne, making a dragon out of the flames on the wall. It jumped from one torch to the next while changing color.

Sonya smiled as she turned, watching the dragon as it pranced above them. "A caller such as that has to have practiced for years to perform such an act."