Chapter XIV - Hunted

Kota kept his head low, quickly ducking through the low foliage of the forest to the sound of pouring rain bouncing off the trees and leaves. Slipping behind a fallen tree trunk, Kota pressed his back against the wet wood as he saw Sonya ahead of him, staying quiet and low to the ground. Under the pounding of the rain, he stared at her, waiting for a sign.

Then she raised her hand. She poked her head above the trunk in front of her. Kota could only see the shadow of her hand, and after what felt like a few minutes, she waved Kota to follow her. Sonya quickly climbed over the log and headed toward the ruins that were hidden by the darkness of the storm and the overgrown green that infested the mountain.

Kota turned and looked back toward the forest to see the lights of the torches flicker further away from them. As they crept out of the cover of the forest into an opening, Kota saw the crumbling ruins before them. Ghosting across the cracked floor, which comprised overgrown greenery and the fractured cobblestone, they swiftly reached an opening in the ruins. Kota looked up as they retreated under the canopy of trees and rocks above them.

Sonya removed her hood before taking her black hair in her hands, ringing out the water. She then gained the focus of Kota as she turned toward him. "Looks like we lost them in the rain finally. They have been on our tail for a day now, but we should be fine here until morning."

Removing his hood, Kota ran his fingers through his brown hair, ruffling out the water as he slicked it back to the right. He groaned as he shook off some of the water from his cloak. "Let's hope so. This weather hasn't let up and does not seem to be stopping soon."

A bolt of lightning lit the few holes in the canopy above them, and Kota jumped at the flash of light.

Sonya looked surprised at his reaction. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah," Kota sighed, smiling and rubbing the back of his head. "Cordelia attacked us first during a rainstorm, and once someone shoots lightning at you, you get a little jumpy at the sound it makes."

She smiled as she nodded in understanding.

The two of them continued to move further into the ruins. Sonya grabbed a broken branch off the ground and lit the tip on fire, handing it to Kota, then made a small flame in her hand. Walking through the narrow corridors, they passed many other open doorways, and broken crates and different items lay scattered throughout the ruins.

"What do you think this place used to be?" Kota asked as he followed Sonya, keeping his flame close to him for warmth.

"Well, based on the layout and lack of obvious entrances, I would say possibly a fort," said Sonya, moving her left hand along the wall as her right hand held the flame from her calling.

Kota looked past Sonya, seeing a small light in the distance, before she put out her fire. They crossed the threshold of light to see Alexis, Lukas, and Lucinda sitting around the fire in the middle of the room. Kota and Sonya joined the group as Alexis sat with her legs crossed, focusing on the flames in front of her.

"Have they given up looking for us in this weather yet?" Alexis asked.

Kota shrugged as he sat in between Lucinda and Lukas, carefully tossing his stick into the fire. "Not yet, but they appeared to be turning back, based on the torchlights, when we were scouting. As long as we stay inside for the time being, we should be safe."

Sonya sat down close to Alexis and snapped her fingers. The flames rose a little higher, and Kota reached out his hands for more warmth. Sonya rubbed her hands together to create a small glow. Then she waved her hands over her hair, drying it. Snapping the glow out, she ran her fingers through her hair again, feeling it drier. "We can stay here until daylight, and then we will have to move out. We have to stay ahead of them."