Chapter 5

"Hey, Jack, how come you seem, well, human? With how evil you were in life, I would've expected you to be some sort of malicious monster." Hlökk asks, genuinely confused. When Brunhilde had told her who her partner would be, she was infuriated, and absolutely refused to do it, especially considering that Jack has a Demonic Treasure, but when she finally met him she was struck with shock at how human he seemed, not at all what she expected from him.

The Serial Killer smiles while staring at nothing, apparently envisioning something. "Well, Milady, it's actually rather simple. In truth, I did used to be that malicious monster you expected from me, though I have always been a Gentleman. Everything I did, I did to inspire fear in those whom I met. But then, I met them." He pauses, a look of admiration on his face.

"Them, who?" Hlökk asks.

"Izuku and Eri. Two of the most broken, hate-filled people I have ever met, looking upon all others with pure loathing. Truly, they fear nothing. However, though they despise everyone else, when looking upon each other, there is nothing but love in their hearts. True, pure love. A color even more powerful and beautiful than fear. It was looking upon them that inspired me to become who I am today, though I can regress back into the monster I was before at any moment, should I so please, if it is necessary. Ever since the day that they approached me, and gave me these chains," he gestures to his Demonic Treasure; the pitch-black chains wrapped around his arms and legs, "I have been seeking love, true love, unfortunately to no avail." He explains, his admiration-filled-smile turning into a sad frown at the end.

Hlökk's eyes widen. "You mean to tell me that a monster such as Izuku Midoriya, a man who has slaughtered hundreds of thousands of innocent people with nothing but a scythe, is actually capable of feeling love?"

"What's so strange about that, Valkyrie?" Izuku suddenly says from the doorway of Hlökk's room. "Everyone has someone or something that they love, even Jack and I. Hell, I'm willing to bet that Poseidon of all people loved someone before I killed him, the first named attack that he used was named after his wife, after all."

Hlökk simply stares at him in terror, not having noticed his presence before he revealed himself. Jack's gaze, however, is drawn to the new weapon Izuku has strapped to his back, the end of which can be seen over his shoulder.

"Speaking of, Milord, I notice that you are currently in possession of Poseidon's Trident, how did this come about?"

Izuku glances back at it, a small smile forming on his face. "Why do I have his Trident? Well..."

Earlier

Izuku is changing his clothes, his original set full of holes and tears due to his fight with[Read: Slaughter Of] Poseidon, when he hears a nock on his room's door. Expecting it to be Eri and/or Brunhilde, he opens it, only to be shocked to see Proteus standing there, Poseidon's Trident in hand. He is even more shocked when Proteus drops to one knee and holds it up to him, both arms out and holding it up on the palms on his hands, said hands being open.

"Wait wait wait, you worked for Poseidon, didn't you? If I remember correctly your name is Proteus, right? Anyways, why are you here now, offering up the last piece of your master that remains in existence to his killer?" Izuku asks, confused.

Proteus raises his head to make eye contact with him. "I am merely following the last order that My Lord gave to me before you slew him, despite how much I loathe you for doing so."

Izuku raises an eyebrow, prompting Proteus to explain.

Before the fight

"Proteus. Before I go out there, I have one order for you." Poseidon says, standing from his throne and grabbing his trident from it's position leaning against it.

"What is it, My Lord?"

Poseidon turns toward him. "If that human slays me, and my Trident remains intact, ensure that he takes it as his own."

Proteus' eyes widen. "My Lord, you cannot truly believe that a mere mortal will be able to stand up to you, much less slay you."

Poseidon hums in thought. "Adam has already proven that humans can slay gods, even if he himself failed to do so. As a god, I am perfect, a fact that will be proven true should I achieve victory against the human I am to face. However, if he manages to defeat me and end my life then that means that I am wrong, and am in fact not perfect. My Trident, as a Divine Weapon, belongs in the hands of someone who is perfect, and if that human manages to slay me then that means that I am not perfect, and he is closer to perfection than even I, and as such is more worthy of my Trident than I am. That is why I am giving you this order, to ensure that my Trident belongs to he who is truly worthy of wielding it."

Proteus' eyes widen upon hearing Poseidon's speech. "Of course, My Lord. I refuse to believe that you can be defeated, but if it does happen then I shall follow your final order, no matter how I personally feel about doing so."

Poseidon nods, before turning and walking away, heading straight towards his death.

Flashback 2 over

Upon hearing the explanation, Izuku laughs. "Wonderful! Even in death you can find ways to impress me, Poseidon!" He exclaims as he grabs the trident from Proteus' hands and gives it a few things. "Oh yeah, this fits nicely in my hands. How spectacular." He says, appraising the weapon. Izuku then leans it against the wall of his room and turns back to Proteus. "You have my respect too, you put aside your own hatred of me in order to follow your master's final command."

Proteus stands and nods. "Know this, you will be slain eventually. In the future, Poseidon will be avenged."

Izuku grins maliciously. "I look forward to it."

Proteus pointedly ignores him as he turns and leaves, blocking out Izuku's words from his mind, and not noticing the contemplative look in Izuku's face as he closes his door.

Back to the present

"... it's not important. I may explain it later." Izuku says. "Anyways, I came here to say one thing. Valkyrie, if Jack loses and starts to die, don't even attempt to disengage the Volund and save yourself. For the duration of the fight, you are partners. You fight together, and you die together. Defeat ends in death, and attempting to save yourself will end in a death far more torturous than simply fading from existence as Jack's own life fades. And Jack, don't you dare die out there, or I will find a way to bring you back just so that I can torture you to death myself. Failure is not an option. We may be villains, but we WILL save humanity." His piece said, Izuku turns and walks away, leaving a terrified Hlökk and a smiling Jack behind.