Chapter 3

Yesterday seemed like a dream. When the five contestants were called, I was the first. It was all as Princess Oda promised.

Today we were to gather up in the palace, all twenty contestants, high and low. I felt like I cheated, which I did, in fact. Yet I couldn't feel bad with Catalina so happy. She had clasped my hands together in hers, and kissed my cheek, praying for my safety and happiness. I wondered if she was reminded of the coward who had left her, or grieved that I might be getting married first.

The carriage stopped, and I was escorted down to the palace grounds and led to the garden. The last time I went to the ball, it had been night, and I hadn't realized how beautiful it was. Today, on the other day, it was a fine and bright day, despite it being autumn already. A few girls there were talking to each other in the garden. I took a few steps towards the group of girls and then heard a familiar voice.

"Oh, good morning!"

Standing a few feet from me was the girl who spilled pudding on me, yellow hair now braided and tied back, smiling at me.

"Good morning," I replied, smiling too. "You're the girl from that night."

"Yes. I'm so glad you are here, I don't know anyone but you," she whispered with down-casted eyes. I laughed softly.

"Me too. Everyone seems acquainted with each other already."

"Yes," she agreed. "Some of them were even talking to the Princess when she came to greet us today."

"The Princess?" I turned around to look at the crowd of people. In the middle of them I see the pale girl, now in a dark blue dress.

"Yes. I hope I can make friends with the other contestants, though," she said. "Oh, not that I'm saying it's bad to try and befriend the Princess, of course!"

I laughed. "I understand what you mean." She smiled, pleased.

"What is your name?"

"My name is Karl—"

"Karina," a familiar and cold voice interrupted. The princess stepped out from the circle of girls and faced me. The girls around her turned their heads towards me in curiosity. "Good morning."

"Good morning, Your Highness," I said and curtsied. She nodded her head in acknowledgment before turning to speak to another contestant. The official Dandelion System ceremony didn't seem to start yet, so people were introducing themselves to her. I faced the girl from two nights again.

"My name is Karina Dearcage."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Oriana Miller," she said. "Are you, by any chance, acquainted with the Princess?"

"No, no," I say quickly, "I only introduced myself to her that night. I saw her perchance. For her to remember my name was a surprise." I was surprised at how easily I was lying, but Oriana didn't suspect a thing. 

"That is wonderful! That night was such a dreamy night," she recalled, cheeks rosy, "and I got chosen! And you too! Are you excited at being chosen?" I smiled wryly.

"Yes, it's a big chance." Chance for curing my sister's eyes.

"Me too! Even if I don't win, at least I have seen the royal palace, family, and their albino children—"

"Albino?" I cut in, startling her.

"Yes, because the King and Queen have blood relations, Princess Oda and Prince Otto have albinism. Princess Odette does not have any issues though, but many suspected it was not the King's own blood." My eyes widened at this. I didn't know anything about the Royal Family. I didn't even know the princess's name until yesterday.