Chapter 21

I went the next few days to see Otto, who had been getting better slowly. Today he was looking out the window when I knocked and walked in.

"Karina?"

"Yes, it's me." I beamed as I went to see him. "You're alright now, right?"

"Yes." He leaned his chin on his arms, crossed at the small window. "But I want to go outside." I thought of Oscar.

"On the palace grounds? I'm sure if you asked Princess Oda she'd arrange for it!"

"No," Otto said. I walked to the window and saw his side profile. "I want to go there. To the towns there, outside the palace grounds."

I knew that would never happen so I stayed quiet.

"Why?" I asked.

"I've always been told I'm the future ruler of Taraxac—but I don't know my own kingdom at all. People tend to me so much I can never see how people here live. I want to know how you lived, too, as a middle class person. What foods you ate, how you get clothing tailored, how issues like money and war affect you."

Otto seemed childish at a glance that I was speechless upon hearing this.

He rested a cheek next to his arm.

"And I'm scared. I don't want to be a bad ruler and become a laughingstock, or be overthrown. I want everyone to be happy, but that's not possible, is it."

"It's not possible. I really wish we all can, but this Dandelion System has already shown us that. I suppose we should've taken politics first before trying to collect seeds."

"No, no, I don't want my wife to have such burdens!" Otto seemed firm and I laughed.

"Well, maybe if you asked Princess Oda and tell her this she'd let you go to a neighboring town?" I said. "She often goes herself to collect seeds under her authority."

"But she got attacked last time. I think it's impossible." Otto pulled back and smiled at me. "It's Sunday soon, right?"

I sighed. "Yes, I have to get ready for Sunday. I'm scared witless because I ran after Os—" I stopped speaking. Otto didn't seem to mind.

"It's fine, Karina! I think you're a very kind person, and I'm sure mother thinks so too."

"No, I'm too passive." I sat down. "But ever since I came to the palace, worked with Oda and Aideen, made friends such as you and the other contestants, I felt different. Like I can make my own choices."

And it was strangely true. I didn't feel scared of Oscar—especially after that apology. I wanted to free Otto and Oscar, and make Otto's dreams of seeing the town and tea party come true.

"I think that's wonderful," Otto said, grinning sweetly with that face. I saw both of them, Oscar and Otto, and somehow was relieved.

The next day, I prepared to go to the tower with Aideen.

"You've been going often now," Aideen whispered. I couldn't tell her emotions.

"Yes, I think I know Otto better. The reasons why he is afraid to rule now, and how he thinks a lot about the kingdom."

"I hope all is going well and he doesn't change into his twin." Aideen finished putting my hair up, fastened a matching cloak for my dress and we left.

We walked down the hallway and into the dining hall. It wasn't meal time but the door was slightly ajar and I heard a series of female laughter. I peered through the gap and see a group of girls sitting there. I recognize one girl laughing in the middle: Garnett.