Chapter 9

I pushed him with the most force I could muster, pushing him free from my body.

He stepped back nonchalantly, and I held my arms in front of myself, afraid of what he would do, but he wasn't interested anymore. 

"It's fine if you won't. There's plenty of maids who get sent here anyways."

His eyes glistened in joy at my fear, and there was something openly cruel about his grin.

I felt sick.

I was unable to believe it, but something about him told me he wasn't lying.

"How could you, Otto?" I continued, pressing myself to the wall. I tried to not cry—to not let this monster of a man see my weak side. "I didn't think you were this kind of person. No wonder you are locked up! No wonder your own sister treats you this way!"

"Do you really think I'm Otto?" He was calmer now, and stood there in the dark room watching me with his head tilted to one side. "I'm not. I don't really care for Oda, either. She's happy I'm locked up, but to bring Otto down with me is the best thing that has yet to happened."

Bring Otto down?

I shook my head, unable to understand what he is saying.

I turned around quickly and fumbled with the door, trying to open it in the dark.

"I guess you'll be leaving now," he laughed, "just like all the others. Cowards. Every single one of you."

I finally pried the door free and leapt outside before shutting it behind me. I ran down the dark staircase, one hand skidding on the rough wall, feeling the cuts forming on the skin, until I got outside. I closed the door and then the lock. I could only hope he wouldn't come after me.

When I finally reached the castle and made sure my hair was in place and I did not look pale, I went to dinner.

During dinner I could not find the appetite to eat and simply stared at my plate.

"You're pale," Oriana, who sat next to me, said in concern. "Is something wrong?"

I couldn't say that everything was wrong. Everything, from the way the dining room, which was, like every other room in the castle, too wide and bright for my comfort. The way the ladies all ate with strict table etiquette. The way the food was lathered in faraway spices my family never used.

"I'm fine," I managed to whisper, taking a sip of water. She nodded although her brows were creased in worry.

I was not fine. The silverware felt heavy in my hands and my lips felt numb.

The forced kiss from Otto was still reoccurring in my mind. My throat clenched, thinking of his unrelenting eyes. My skin tingled, thinking of his hand on my chin.

At night when Aideen helped me undress she asked me what happened in the tower.

"Was Prince Otto all right?" she asked as she took off my dress. I unlaced my stifling corset quickly and then pulled on my nightgown. "He might've been lonely because Oda hasn't been free lately and couldn't visit him. I'm sure he was glad you went."

"He was," I said. It wasn't a lie: Otto was happy. But not his other side. I sat down at the vanity table and Aideen began to let down my hair. I looked at her small face in the mirror and gulped.

"Aideen, do you know anything about the prince acting weird? Or why he's locked up?" Aideen stopped combing through my hair and peered at me. I froze.

"The prince isn't stable," she said softly. "Oda did say she wanted to bring you to see Prince Otto when he's—he's different." I nodded.

"I see."