Chapter 22

I shook my head at her words. I stepped outside and she followed. Outside it was cold, far colder than what I had expected. I was thankful for the cloak and hurried into the forest. Within the first few step in, it grew dark. The high branches of the trees blocked out the faint sunlight, and I couldn't even see the ground, causing me to stumble. 

Aideen walked several steps behind me. We were both silent. I searched for a black figure, but couldn't find any.

"It's getting colder, maybe we should leave soon," she finally said. I ignored her and continued walking deeper into the forest.

Then I saw it. Someone wearing black laying on the ground.

"Aideen!" I screamed. "Get help from the castle! Quick!"

The moment I finish my sentence, Aideen started running, the crunch of dried leaves and twigs being stepped on sounding throughout the forest. I take slow steps until I am only a foot away from the body. I inhale deeply before bending down. I put my hand cautiously on the shoulder, and feel that it is stiff. Stiff like a corpse.

Not wanting to lose courage, I turn the body around before I pulled my hand back quickly. When I see the face, I feel my legs give out underneath me.

It was Tristesse. Her eyes were wide open, like her mouth. Her skin was pale, along with her lips, and her face frozen in a permanent silent scream. Her neck, bruised black and blue, is proof that she was strangled. Her hat and veil had fallen next to her, and the footprints imbedded in the dirt showed she had struggled. Her hands lie limp by her side, fingers rigid and crooked. Inside her left hand, she clutched something. Judging from the oval shape and chain of gold, it is a pendant.   

I closed my eyes and took deep breaths, but I still couldn't help shaking violently.

Tristesse has been murdered.

I opened my eyes again, and notice something else. Something shiny is embossed in her dark hair. I bit my lips hard and brought my trembling fingers into her hair. After pulling it out, I stared at the dandelion seed in my hand. It wasn't the only one. Dandelion seeds were scattered on her corpse, glistening brightly despite the ugly scene it was in.

These Dandelion seeds are no longer a symbol of winning the prince's love; they symbol death, destruction—that there are people who would do anything to win.

"You, there! Move away from the body!"

I turned to see the Royal Guards, along with Aideen, running my way. I stood up and turned away. Face a tree, I bent down and vomited the only tart I had all of yesterday and this morning. Aideen ran over to my side and patted my back. I sobbed into her chest. I could still see that horrid scene and feel that stiffness.

"The two of you will have to answer some questions," a guard said.

"Yes," I replied weakly.

A guard walked Aideen and I back to the castle while the others stayed and studied the scene of the crime.

The Royal Guards and Officials brought us to separate rooms and interrogated us for a long time, and I had to repeat my story several times. I lied and said that I was simply going for a walk in the forest, but other than that, I told the truth. I described the scene, although every part of me dreaded seeing the image again. Although they never said anything about us, I could sense their wariness and see that they are suspicious of us.

Thankfully Aideen requested for Princess Oda to come, so after she returned from the dandelion seed collecting trip she took us out of custody and tried her best to help clear us of suspicions.