Chapter 5

After dinner I retired to my dorm, which was on the third floor of the Grey Castle. The Lower Class had the second floor, the Middle Class the third, and the Upper Class the fourth. The first floor was a general place with parlor rooms, ballrooms, and other room to socialize in.

The ladies-in-waiting had their own meeting after dinner so I didn't have a chance to talk to Aideen. Instead I inspected my room all over. The walls were of stone with lanterns built in. There was a great veranda window which once opened, oversaw the garden I was in today, and a bit of the forest surrounding us. The bed was of wood as was the dresser, table, and two chairs, and the fabric was of woven silk.

I had an uneasy sleep, and the whole time I could only think of Oda and the strange air about her when she spoke of the Prince. But despite my discomfort, I must have fallen asleep, because the next morning I woke up to see Aideen.

"Good morning, Lady Karina," she said.

She was as composed as ever, and I wondered if she had even slept. It was just a little after dawn. She folded back my cover and helped me out of bed.

"Good morning, Aideen, but really, I could do this myself." She was gently removing my nightgown and I was flustered from her fingertips on my shoulders.

"I'm your lady in waiting," she replied. She pulled a white chemise over my head and pulled it down over me.

"But still," I protested.

"Every morning I will help dress you and do your hair," she said as she pulled on my corset, making me cough. I usually didn't wear such tight corsets, but here, it was the norm. She went through my trunk and asked me which dress I wanted. It felt strange being dressed by another.

"I'll also meet with you after breakfast to discuss an important thing," she said, "since ladies-in-waiting eat with the servants."

"Oh, I didn't know that," I said.

"I will always be here, though," she said, "every morning and night to help you get dressed and undressed. The ladies-in-waiting's dormitory is in a castle close by." I felt terribly bad for having her do so much but thanked her for everything.

During breakfast each girl introduced themselves, but I couldn't remember the names of all twenty girls. As of now, I only sat and hung out with Oriana.

"There's so many girls," Oriana said. "Aren't they beautiful, too? Look at the one in red."

"Yes," I said, but I was in the mood to look at other girls. I was still busy trying to get used to the Royal etiquette, which Oriana had already picked up. Some girls were snickering at the girls who didn't know how to use their forks and knives properly.

"This place is ruthless," I muttered. Orianna heard and turned to me.

"Oh, don't worry, you'll get used to it."

Get used to the bullying?

After breakfast I went outside the hallway where Aideen was, but she was speaking with someone in a big purple dress. The person turned and I saw the profile of their face. It was Princess Oda. I couldn't imagine why she was talking to my lady in waiting, so I hurried towards them.

Now that I think of it, Aideen and the others probably grew up in the castle. Did she know a lot about Oda and Otto?

The other girls noticed her too, as did I, and soon gathered around to greet Oda. She gave small, polite smiles.