Chapter 7

Once we reached the castle I could see several of the other contestants also there. Some commissioned portraits, others wanted things for their hobbies and needs, such as thread, fabric, books, ink, and paper.

The Tailor's place was the busiest, and when we entered the tailor, an old man with crow's feet around his eyes stood up.

"Aideen!" He beamed. "I haven't seen you in such a long time!"

"Yes. I hope you're doing fine," she answered.

"I am, I am." He turned to me. "Is this young lady a contestant?"

"Yes, let me introduce you two. This is Karina Dearcage. Karina, this is the tailor, Cleve."

"How enjoyable, making clothing for possibly the prince's bride!" he laughed. I am reminded that I'm the only one who has absolutely no chance to marry the prince, but the highest chance to win.

"What did you come here for? A dress? Or a mantle? Or maybe a nightgown?"

"A dress, and maybe a cloak."

"Do you have an idea of what fabric you'd like? Or have certain patterns in mind?" As he asks me questions, I see Aideen inspect a pale blue gown on a mannequin from the corner of my eye.

"Do you like that dress?" I asked, catching the tailor's attention. Aideen's eyes widened at what I said, and then she quickly stutters out protests.

"Never, I would never look good in it! Have you found something you like?" Her face was flushed, and I suspected she changed the subject on purpose. However, I decided to not press her on it.

On the tailor's wooden table, there were several sketches of dresses, as well as unfinished ones. I sort through them, paper and cloth, and then stop at one drawing.

"I really like this design," I mused. He glanced at the design before laughing.

"What an eye you've got, young lady!" he chuckled. "The Princess liked it too!"

"Oh?"

Although Oda and I had been together for a few days by now, I still didn't know anything about her. I wondered if it was good or bad that we had similar tastes.

Afterwards Aideen and I stopped at the Royal Shoemaker's place, too. There were two other contestants there, and once they saw me, they smiled.

"You are Karina Dearcage, aren't you? I remember you from this morning," said one with beautiful black curls braided and looped around her head in pearls. "I'm Nicolette Jacobin, and I'm from the Middle Class, too."

"And I'm Viola Raphael, from the Lower Class." The other girl was tall, soft deep, eyes dark and serious.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both," I said. "Are you two here to get shoes too?"

"Yes! I'm a dancer, so I'd like some dancing shoes," Nicolette said. "And Viola is here with me because we are going to get some dresses made later."

"I just returned from the tailor. He's a very nice man."

"Yes, I do hope I'm not holding up your time, then. I hope to see you around, Karina!" Nicolette said.

"Same for me. Farewell."

After we left and were outside, I turned to Aideen.

"I've met quite a lot of the contestants, now. I know Oriana, as well as Annabelle, Nicolette, and Viola."

"Yes, that's nice." Her face didn't seem particularly excited. Then I realized how none of the other girls seemed to bring their lady in waiting along with them. Even Annabelle had let her lady in waiting leave to talk to someone else. Was I too clingy?