Chapter 6 (Fairy history)

The morning was a slow day for poor Victor. His eggs and bacon tasted good, but he could barely possess the energy to even pick up his fork. He slowly blinked his tired eyes and stared at the entire cafeteria. He could not get any sleep last night, and it was clear of that. He noticed Rex skip over to him and place his tray of blueberry muffins down.

"Hey Victor! Thanks for the help, yesterday. Forgot to thank you" Rex said.

Victor just yawned loudly in response. He wasn't too keen on talking to anyone today. Rex just shrugged and happily munched on his muffin, thankfully. Victor checked his schedule and sighed in annoyance when he realized that he had swimming class. He wondered why swimming class was separated from PE. Although, he decided it wasn't worth the trouble to think about. At least he had English class, which shouldn't be too bad. 

He got a couple more pieces of bacon in his mouth and threw out his tray. Rex did the same and waved goodbye to Victor. And he waved back.  Victor entered his English class and a handsome blonde man was present in the English class room. He flashed everyone a big smile as they all sat down. 

"Hello all! good to see you, good to see you. I'm Mr. Kon. And if you didn't know, I am the principal's husband" He announced happily. 

Everyone gasped and started murmuring to each other. No one expected that news. Victor thought it made sense since they were both attractive blondes with a fancy fashion sense. They were perfect for each other. 

"We will be doing an essay on the types of elements that the fairy species have. I posted the rubric on the school website, so please check that out" Mr. Kon spoke.

Victor got started and opened the link that the teacher posted on the laptops that are stored in the corner of the room. The types of elements were water, music, fire, nature, technology, light, love, creative, popstar, animal, ice, and dark. Victor exhaled. There were certainly a lot of elements to choose from. He chose dark, as predicted. From his research, he gathered that the majority of dark fairies were evil but were churned good at the end, at least most of them. They had a history of locking other people in dungeons. 

It got Victor thinking of how Cassie is a fairy, he wonders what it was like for her when she encountered other fairies. She is known to have a flirtatious personality, and that might be something some people aren't too fond of. There is a school exactly for fairies not too far from Royale high, Royale high was the school Victor was in, and he didn't expect more schools like the one he was in. The rubric stated that everyone can do any type of presentation that they want. Victor decided to go with a power point presentation, which is what most people are doing. He started to write a general history about the dark fairies, like when they were founded by the public. Victor sighed, he felt bored. He knew his presentation would probably be the most draining and monotone thing to exist. And before he knew it, class was over. It was swimming class, unfortunately.

When Victor reached, he saw that the swimming instructor was a merman, he was resting at the shallow end with his golden tail laid out.

"Hey! I'm Mr. Coral, glad you all could make it. Put on your swimsuits in the locker rooms and then comeback, this will be a routine you all should get into" The red haired merman said with an enthusiastic voice.

Victor slipped into the locker rooms with everyone else. The swimsuit every guy got was a pair of sea green swim trunks. Definitely less embarrassing than the uniform for PE class. He went outside the locker rooms and saw that the girls were also wearing  sea green swimwear, but a one-piece bathing suit. 

"Alright, now this class is mostly to learn aquatic exercises. It's definitely mermaid related...as you can see" He said gesturing towards his tail. Everyone strapped on their swim cap and goggles and gingerly got into the pool. Mr. Coral instructed everyone to swim laps, which they did. Water was splashed everywhere and muscles amongst students began to grow sore, but not unbearably sore.

"ANDDD.......DONE!" Mr. Coral hollered. 

Everyone stopped swimming just as he said to, and swam on over to where he is.

"Now what did you guys notice about what environment we were swimming in?" Mr. Coral asked.

"The water was kind of warm" A girl said while raising her hand.

"Yes! Tropical mermaids take interest in this in warmer areas. And yes, I am one of them." Mr. Coral said.

Victor thought about what his teacher has said. He guessed that meant that Mallory is a tropical mermaid. There were many things to learn about aquatic life and the people that he talked to. Victor sort of wished he wasn't particularly interested in them so that he wouldn't get distracted. However, it was refreshing to be interested in people, again.

"There are other types of mermaids. Such as tropical mermaids, lake mermaids, and swamp mermaids." Mr. Coral said. 

Mr. Coral then went on to explain the types of mermaids. Tropical mermaids cannot swim in colder waters, or else they will get incredibly ill. That's why the school has different bodies of water for each and every mermaid to use. 

"Alright, it's the end of class, everyone!" Mr. Coral announced.

And just like that, everyone climbed out of the water and grabbed the towels beside the pool and wrapped themselves up like little pigs in a blanket. Everyone filed into the locker rooms and showered, washing all the salt water off. Everyone was exhausted, but thankfully, lunch break was next. Victor grabbed a blow drier and blow dried as fast as he could for lunch break. After he was finished, he grabbed a comb and got all the blow dry knots out of his hair. His hair was both fluffy and silky by the end. And off to lunch he went. 

Victor settled with a steak that had bread and potatoes on the side. He bought Enchantaberry iced tea as a drink and this time sat close to the pool grounds. Not by the pool, but by the pool grounds. He heard splashing and peered around the corner to see Mallory laying in the shallow end and splashing her tail around. Victor kept eating and payed no mind to Mallory, but then he heard the sound of water dripping onto the ground and footsteps softly smacking the stone ground. 

"I had a feeling you were here" Mallory's voice said close to his ear.

Victor jolted away from Mallory's face, which was close to him. Mallory just laughed.

"You really think I'm that unaware of my surroundings?" Mallory asked tauntingly.

"I guess so..." Victor replied quietly.

"Well too bad! Looks like I am....May I have a potato?" Mallory asked timidly.

"Have you not eaten yet?" Victor asked as he handed her a potato slice.

"Well I was going to. I just got caught up on swimming...I'll go change" Mallory said.

The smacking of her sandals echoed across the cafeteria. She was wrapped in a fuzzy pink towel and her wet hair glistened under the chandelier lights. Victor watched her enter the locker rooms. It seemed that she took every chance she could get to go swimming. No wonder she had abs. Even for having muscles, she still appeared to be feminine. Sort of a cool thing about her. The only thing that confused him is the fact that he hasn't seen her in any swimming classes, which he thought she would be attending.

Victor had finished his meal and only had his iced tea left. It had a magnificent fruity scent. It was admirable how good the school's food is. The third class was about to start and he finished his drink, just on time. He threw the trash away and gazed at the pool one last time. It did seem like a cozy place for a mermaid. If only he had a comforting place to himself.