𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟏𝟐- 𝑴𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒏𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒔

5:30 𝔞.𝔪. That's when Damian was shoved awake that morning. " Don't even try it, demon spawn; we already hid all of your katanas". The remark annoyed him further, as that was his logical next move, and he was getting too predictable. A few years ago, they would not have even been able to get near the boy without waking him. He was getting too soft, and he had tired himself out double patrolling last night because he could not sleep.

" Bruce wants to speak with you in his study." Damian just groaned at his brother in response before getting up and pushing past Tod and Drake to meet his father. He didn't bother to freshen up or do any of his morning routine because it was obviously important if he was in need at this ungodly hour. He hoped it would be a mission or something challenging; recently, the routine of things had been making him go crazy. Predictability was bad; it left an opening and made people put their walls down. In the league, he had never known any routine; he just went where he was asked at any given time.

Sometimes he really missed the league and the life he once knew. He didn't miss the bad things he'd done, but rather everything else. Life was easier when it was decided for him, and he didn't need all these unnecessary manners or social skills.

His train of thought was interrupted once he reached the door to the study. A quick welcome was noted once he entered with a single knock. Inside the room, his father sat at his desk, his hair unkempt as though he had spent some time running his hands through it in frustration. It made Damian ponder if the man had ever gone to bed that night at all. Alongside his father, his oldest brother Grayson stood leaning against a bookshelf, looking just as tired.

" Hey, baby bird, take a seat; this might take a moment, " his brother spoke, breaking the silence first. " I would rather stand." Damian replied, feeling uneasy about the serious tone in the room. He knew that his father and brother wouldn't call him into the study unless it was something important. He stood there, waiting for them to speak, his mind racing with all the possible scenarios. Finally, his father cleared his throat and spoke, "Damien, we need to talk to you about something that happened last night." The words hit Damien like a ton of bricks. He knew exactly what they were talking about, and he hoped his father wasn't about to ban him from patrol for "overexerting himself," as his father usually put it.

" We have reason to believe that Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are planning something in Paris. " That is not what Damian expected to come out of his father's mouth at all. " Harley has just joined Ivy, who has been in Paris for a few weeks, and they seem to be having suspicious behavior. They have bought a building, and renovations have been happening for months. We are not sure exactly what they are planning, but we need eyes in Paris. I know you have school, but I really need you and Dick to monitor the situation until further notice.

Damian sat in silence for a few seconds, contemplating his choices. There was not much of a reason to stay in Gotham at the time, and it would be good to get away. His education would not be bothered much, as even though he was at a top school, he was still way ahead of the rest of his peers educational levels. The only reason he had not skipped grades already and gone straight to college was his father's belief that he needed the social skills the school would supposedly help him acquire through his peer interactions. It was not exactly going the way his father had hoped.
Damian finally spoke up: "I'll do it. I can handle it." He knew he could use the break from Gotham and the opportunity to prove himself to his father. He didn't want to bring Dick along with him, but he was confident in their ability to work together and keep a low profile while monitoring the situation. He trusted his abilities more than the other siblings lingering in the halls. He made a mental note to inform his school and make arrangements for any missed assignments or classes. As he stood up to leave, his father placed a hand on his shoulder. "Be careful, Damian". "This seems like it could be dangerous." Damian nodded, but he was not worried.

He had packed his bags with all the necessary gear and equipment. His suit, weapons, and gadgets were all neatly organized in his suitcase. The thought of leaving Gotham behind filled him with excitement, but he couldn't shake off the feeling that he was leaving something behind. He took one last look around his room before zipping up his bag and heading out the door. The journey ahead was long, but Damian was ready for whatever challenges lay ahead.