Chapter 2

The next day

Rafe POV

I was wondering my families property with Danny when I started to express my worries to Danny who seemed to be listening a little too much in my opinion.

"I can't forget the look on her face." I stated as I felt the fret rising.

"I mean she is only 10 and she saw our Mother die. I just hope she isn't gonna be messed up in the head after that." It felt like word vomit but Danny continued to listen to my ramble.

"Rafe i'm sure she will be alright. I mean after all she is a McCawley" Danny seemed to believe his own words without a doubt and it comforted me.

"I guess we are gonna have to look out for her more." I wanted to be there for her especially since her and mother were close and the fact that our father is a drunk who couldn't care less about the fact that his little girl just witnessed a horrible thing.

From now on, I will always make sure she is safe and looked after, preferably by me.

3 weeks later

Lorelei's  POV

Having Rafe look over my shoulder at every waking moment was starting to get on my nerves. He regularly disrupts me whilst I play with my wooden toys just to make sure i'm ok. Which is thoughtful but I need some space. 

Rafe is always occupied with his friend and chores that Daddy gives them. Danny doesn't really talk much. He is kind of quiet and shy. But I see him with rafe and can tell that he would be a fun friend.

Rafe and Daddy stumble into the house tracking mud. Daddy is obviously drunk and slurring when he suddenly makes out a full sentence.

"Your Mother would be disappointed in how you both are acting. " I had no clue in what he meant. My brother and I were acting the same that we usually would. Just because mother left doesn't mean i'm gonna start acting out. He must be off his head.

I suppose that I am still grieving the loss but I tend to push that down since I don't know how to control my emotions. Perhaps one day I will be able to have a mature conversation about it  but for now I may as well pretend that nothing has changed and all is well. Even if everything inside is tearing apart and slipping through my fingers.

authors note

for people confused about their ages atm:

rafe = 14 years old

danny = 12 years old

lorelai = 10 years old