chapter 5

Lorelai's POV

I wish I knew why I was being sent away, I am only young and everything has happened so fast. When I say 'everything' I really mean my Mother passing away. I wonder what she would say if she heard Father right now. 

Obeying my fathers orders I decide to pack my belongings into a duffel bag. I'm not aware of how long i'll be gone for but I get a feeling my father doesn't know either. 

There is a knock on my door. It's Rafe.

"Rory I wish I could do something about this but i'm stuck. I don't want you to leave. Hopefully it's only for a short time. I know i'll miss you." Hearing Rafe say the nickname only he calls me, Rory, I suddenly feel as if things are going to work out. 

I can't help but think about what's going to happen to him. Will father send him away too? I sure hope not.

1 hour later

My thoughts flood my brain. What if I never see that cute boy again? Who am I kidding I'll be back in 6 months. Or at least hope so. I have no indication of how long i'll be gone for. 

But thats only one of my many concerns I have right now. I need to focus. After all, i'm going to be on my own. Without my older brother Rafe. Without the comfort of my room. As well as the scent of my mother, cherry blossoms. 

I feel eyes staring at me. It's my father. "I'm dropping you off at the station. I hope you come back as a lady that will be suitable. To serve as a loving wife and a potential mother one day." He sounds proud of himself. As if he is making the right decision. I beg to differ. 

Rafe is clearly beside himself but I remain my usual self. Poised, unreadable but i feel anxious. It would only be natural to feel scared and frightened because I had no idea of what would lay just out of reach. 

Meaning my future. A future I perhaps was not ready for. Maybe the wrong future that my father is forcing me to go down.

Saying goodbye to Rafe was more difficult than what I expected. "I'll write to you" That's a relief. "I promise you i'll get you back soon. I already miss you Rory. Take care of your self alright?" I wasn't used to Rafe being so calming but I guess he has to be now. 

"Rafe i'll always be thinking of you ok. You make sure you eat and help Daddy out because we both know he can't do that himself. I love you." The truth is I didn't want to leave Rafe alone with that poor excuse of a father mainly because he is abusive. 

Not just towards Rafe but to me and previously Mother. A drunk. That man. He becomes a different person when the liquor meets his lips. 

Rafe is old enough to take care of himself I have nothing to worry about here. Besides I should focus on what lay ahead. 

The future.