10. the forgotten one.

❝ There's an old voice in my head
That's holding me back
Well, tell her that I miss our little talks
Soon it will be over and buried with our past
We used to play outside when we were young
And full of life and full of love ❞
-ᴸⁱᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵀᵃˡᵏˢ ⁻ ᴼᶠ ᴹᵒⁿˢᵗᵉʳˢ ᵃⁿᵈ ᴹᵉⁿ

10.  𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞.

12:30pm

    The sun had settled into the sky hours ago. Seagulls chirped sharply as they dove and rose over the sea. Blair breathed in the salt air. It was not yet hot that day; the breeze that stalks all seaside towns was running offshore. She could feel the wind across her shoulders as she walked onto the cut grass of her yard, feeling the stiff edges of the blades between her toes when walked back inside her house with her heels in her hands.

John B and the Pogues were there, all gathered around the kitchen table while Pope was holding Zoe. Blair didn't even feel like questioning what was happening in that moment, she just stepped straight to the bathroom, she needed to clean herself up before doing anything else.

"I'm going to take a shower, then you and I— we're going to have a conversation." The young woman pointed at her brother before disappearing of the group's sight.

JJ straightened up from the table and turned to his friend. "Dude— what did you do this time?"

John B shrugged. "How would I know?"

Blair rushed inside the bathroom, closed the door and dropped what she was holding into the sink. She let out a deep sigh and leaned closer to the large oval mirror, examining every inch of her face.

     Her eyes fell to the necklace— to the locket falling between her collarbone, she stared at it for awhile and quickly took it off.

When she stepped into the shower the young woman finally felt a sense of relief wash over her. She let the water warm her iced skin, rendering her once again a clean slate.

But as the warm water cascaded over her body, she felt her mind starting to wander again. She couldn't help but think about Rafe, and all the memories they had shared together. She kept on replaying the way he'd held her the night before, the sound of his laughter, and the way his blue eyes were locked in hers. But then also came the memories of their fights, the tears, and the problems that had ultimately led to their breakup. Lathering up her hair under the shower head, she thought about his firm hands travelling all over her body, she thought of the way he had kissed her inner thigh all the way up to her mouth.

This was a mistake. A huge mistake.

    She needed to put her daughter first.

As Blair turned off the water and stepped out of the shower to grab a fresh towel, she felt a sense of embarrassment and regret. She wondered if he was going to be the one to reach out first and text her— but she had no desire to face him after everything that had happened nor face the consequences of her actions. Running into him while working at the Island Club was obviously inevitable. She knew that.

    The conversation she had with Sarah was the only positive thing she could bring herself to think about. Before leaving the Camerons's house, the Routledge girl told her she would stay in contact and find a day where they hang out together. The blonde girl even said she would love to meet Zoe. Maybe it was a good idea, maybe it wasn't. But Blair agreed, she even said she wanted to get back in touch with her and Luna.