16. how long do secrets last?

❝I'm not bored or unhappy,
I'm still so strange and wild
You're in the wind, I'm in the water
Nobody's son, nobody's daughter
Watching the chemtrails over the country club❞
-ᶜʰᵉᵐᵗʳᵃⁱˡˢ ᴼᵛᵉʳ ᵗʰᵉ ᶜᵒᵘⁿᵗʳʸ ᶜˡᵘᵇ ⁻ ᴸᵃⁿᵃ ᴰᵉˡ ᴿᵉʸ

16.  𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭?

    At the beginning of the afternoon, in his convertible black Porsche, Ward Cameron had driven John B, Blair and Zoe back at their place to pack the young man's stuff up.

    John B was next to him on the passenger seat, meanwhile Blair was next to Sarah on the backseat with Zoe sitting on her lap. She didn't feel like it was safe for her daughter to not be in a child seat but since it was only a short drive, she decided to ignore the uncomfortable sensation in her stomach.

    Everyone was silent— except Sarah, the blonde girl was trying to get Zoe to say her name, however her attempt was unsuccessful since the toddler had taken a sudden interest in the pearl bracelet she was wearing around her wrist,

    "How old is she?" Ward asked, glancing at the Routledge girl throughout the rearview mirror.

    A feeling of nausea took over her. She tried to keep her composure but there was nothing she could have done to hide her face suddenly going pale.

    Zoe was six months old. Rafe and Blair had broken up a year ago, and he knew that.

So if the man did some math he would quickly realise that something did not add up— six months plus nine months of pregnancy would mean that she had gotten pregnant three months before her breakup with his son.

    "Three months old." She replied, avoiding his gaze.

    It was a lie. A stupid lie that had been created under the weight of a wave of panic. Anyone who had three children would know that a three months old baby and a six months old one don't look the same.

    "Enjoy as much as you can while she's still little." Ward quietly nodded. « They grow up fast. »

    Blair awkwardly chuckled, looking down at Zoe.

    And after a short silence, he decided to casually add; "Are you still in touch with the father?"

She froze.

Blair was sitting right behind John B, and she knew that if the Routledge boy had been able to throw a panicked glance at her without getting noticed— he definitely would've done it in that exact moment.

    "Dad!" Sarah immediately interrupted. "You can't just ask that."

Thank you, Sarah.

    "I'm just wondering. That's all." He said, his voice sounded so clueless— as if he was having a small talk about the weather.

    "It's intrusive." The blonde insisted.

    "It's alright." Blair felt like she had to say that so the conversation wouldn't become even more awkward.

    The man shook his head. "I apologise." He said. "I hope I didn't make you feel uncomfortable, Blair."

    You did.