26. the lines between good and evil.

❝I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that place
Even your emotions have an echo in so much space
And when you're out there without care
Yeah, I was out of touch
But it wasn't because I didn't know enough
I just knew too much
Does that make me crazy?❞
-ᶜʳᵃᶻʸ ⁻ ᴳⁿᵃʳˡˢ ᴮᵃʳᵏˡᵉʸ

26. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥.

    « Ward Cameron said he doesn't mind taking you home right now. » Deputy Plumb spoke as she gently led Blair down the entry of the police station, giving her a pitying smile.

That night, inside the belly of the police station. That very same pitying expression on Plumb's face as she helped the brunette peel off her clothes. Gloved hands packing them away into clear evidence bags. Blair's white shirt from the Island Club. Her black skirt. All that as she stood there, bare and shivering in front of this woman. A moment that bounded them forever, hanging like a ghost at the corners of Plumb's smile.

    Blair didn't respond anything to that, instead she suddenly stopped walking and turned to face her. « What's going to happen to my brother now? »

    « We're going to look for him. »

    « And what's gonna happen once you'll find him? »

    « He will be under arrest for the murder of Susan Peterkin. » Plumb paused waiting for a reaction from Blair but the young woman was just numb, carrying eyes empty of life. « But... if anything... I can assure you that you did the right thing. I know John B is your brother but crimes like these cannot be left unpunished. »

    She didn't respond anything to that either, her feet followed the voice dragging the rest of her with them. It was now dark outside, and into the waiting room, way too bright, Ward was who she saw first. She couldn't think what to say to him so she just followed him in silence.

But oh no, the gun was in there too, hiding beneath each beats of her heart.

Waiting for her.

It followed Blair as they left. Sat beside her in the dark car. She shook and she blocked her ears and she told the gun to stop.

But it wouldn't go away. And she couldn't run from it. She was stuck.

Crossing the line between good and evil gives us another vision of the world around us. Suddenly, we understand that in a difficult situation everyone is able to take an unexpected step, even the noblest of us, and from that moment you only have to rely on your intuition.

Our instinct almost never betrays us or at least that's what we prefer to believe to continue to have this feeling that nothing stood in our way that we were the only ones to decide our destiny.

But what happens when it's too late to regret what we've done?

There are those who decide to close their eyes, to hide even from themselves. There are those who pay for the consequences of a sin they have not even committed and there are those who will never forgive themselves but we all have to pay one day or another for what we have done.

    Entering Tannyhill, Blair nearly stumbled as this heavy, sinking feeling falls over her, like water filling her chest, and she forgot how to breathe.