Escape (gasp)

Ratchet's father seemed rather pleased by Rodney's visit, even going as far as to wave him goodbye. "Wow, son. That Copperbottom fellow sure is something special, wouldn't you say?"

"Never in a million years," Ratchet said under his breath.

"You know, son" his dad went on. "You and him aren't so different. He's an inventor like you. Now that's a real treasure."

"Shut up, dad!" Ratchet snapped. He uncomfortably wriggled around in the chains, making them clank and ring. At first glance, he seemed to be spasming out. "These stupid things! Why do they have to—ugh!"

Ratchet's father swung back and forth with the movement. "Woah, now what are you doing?"

"I can't take this anymore!"

"Can't take what? Tell me, I'm here for you."

"That's exactly the problem!" With all his might and with great desperation, he continued to struggle and swing in the chains, jerking his body harder.

His father seemed to get worried. "Careful, son! You might hurt—"

With one last shove, the chains that Ratchet was drawn to suddenly clipped from his side, and he collapsed onto the hard floor. His father made a painful face before realizing that something was wrong. Ratchet didn't seem to norice anything, other than the fact that he wasn't hanging anymore.

"Yes! I'm free!" he celebrated. "I'm free!"

"Uh, son?"

Ratchet spun around and pointed at his father. "I'll never be bound to you again, father! Not to you and your stupid blabbering nonsense!"

"But son, look!"

Ratchet looked down and saw that his right arm was gone. Going wide eyed, he screamed. "My arm!" He frantically turned around as she searched for it in the rubble. Seconds later, he found it. It must've popped out of socket when he fell down. Agitated, Ratchet tried to put it back, but it didn't work. A screw was missing, and he couldn't find it. It was like it vanished out of thin air.

"Don't worry, son," he heard his father up above. "I'm sure you can get it fixed. Say, why don't you go see that Copperbottom fellow? I'm sure he'll be able to help you."

"What?! Are you out of your mind?!" Ratchet stomped his feet.

"Well, he'll help you with your arm."

"That he might do," Ratchet said, "but I'm not going to that slacking good-for-nothing. For anything!"

"He's the one with the tools, son. I don't know what else to tell ya."

Ratchet growled and hugged his arm against his chest, pacing around in a circle. He thought for a moment, trying to figure out what to do. He certainly didn't want to be down in the Underground anymore, and he did want to get his revenge on Rodney and those rusties. But at the same time, he didn't want anything to do with them. He just wanted them to be gone. They practically ruined his life, after all.

After a moment, he came to realize that his father was right. He could go and see Rodney, and having a broken part would only make an excuse to go.  He had it all thought out: he would go find Rodney and ask him to fix his arm. Doing so, he'll be able to find him and his group and make his revenge. It was brilliant!

"You know what, dad? You're right!"

"I am?"

"Yes! I shall go and find Copperbottom. Surely he will fix my arm, just like you said."

"And what about me? Can I come along, too?"

Ratchet started backing away from his hanging father. "I really think that you should stay here," he said. "You know, guard the place. Keep it savvy. Nice and dandy. Alright?"

"Oh, alright then." His dad gave him a thumbs up. "I'll be here if you need anything."

"Yeah..." Turning his heel, Ratchet's forced smile turned into a frown as he walked away, exiting the underground.