I'm Sorry

Once everything was ready, Rodney went to go retrieve Ratchet in his office. When he opened it, he expected the robot to be long gone, but he was still there, thinking to himself.

"Ratchet."

The silver robot lifted his head and looked over his shoulder.

"It's time."

Ratchet looked down and took another big sigh before standing up and following Ratchet to the balcony of Bigweld Industries. It looked very practically the entirety of Robot City, and down below was a huge crowd, as well as some news stations who were recording this supposed historical moment. In a way, Ratchet felt intimidated by this. Normally he would've loved to have everyone's eyes on him, but not now. They were all there expecting the same thing out of him, and at the same time judging him for what he did. It was like he was a little bug behind surrounded by a group of kids that were taller and stronger than him--

Ratchet felt something tap against his side and he looked to see that it was Rodney handing him a microphone. Ratchet took it and then looked out into the crowd again. He tensed up and didn't speak for a while. Even Rodney noticed that he was nervous.

"You can do this," Rodney said in encouragement. 

Ratchet let out a little sigh once more before talking into the microphone, his voice travelling through the valley. "Citizens of Robot City," he began. "I am standing before you today to...to apologize." 

Heads turned in the crowd down below, talking to each other in surprise and confused, like they didn't expect him to ever do this. They turned back to Ratchet as we went on with his speech. 

"I'm sorry that I forced an ideal life upon all of you that none of you wanted, and that I hid my mother's violence behind Bigweld's name. I'm sorry that I've been too selfish and didn't consider the impact that I was making on everybody. I am owning up to the mistakes that I made, as well as my mother's. Even if it means having to apologize to each and every one of you individually, I will. Even if it means rummaging through the remains of the Chop Shop to find the pieces of your friends and loved ones, for me to personally present them to you, then I will." 

The robots that stared looked on with slight suspicion, not exactly taking what he was saying to heart. Ratchet tried a different approach. He glanced at the blue and white robot next to him. "Rodney. You and your friends, and everyone else in Robot City. I would also like to apologize for the way I've treated you. I realize now that it was unfair of me to see you all as outmoded and rejected you, and how foolish it was to think so. Anybody is just as capable of succeeding to the next person, and you've all proved that to me those few months ago. To quote Mr. Bigweld himself: 'You can shine no matter what you're made of', and that quote is more important than ever."  

He turned back to the crowd, and as he did, Rodney couldn't help but smile. "I know that my apology won't bring your loved ones back," Ratchet went on, "or change what I or my mother did, but today I am willing to change for the better and to prove to all of you that I truly am sorry for everything. Even if you don't accept me back into society or forgive me for what I've done, I understand, and will willingly leave this place. But all that I am asking from you is to give me a chance to show each and every one of you how truly, truly sorry I am for what happened." 

Ratchet paused and the crowd stayed silent with a few murmuring here and there. They stared at him with expectant eyes that made Ratchet nervous. As anxious as we was, he stepped off the stage and went down the line in the crowd, apologizing to every single person in the audience.