Chapter Eight

The days passed by with a blur and Harry read a considerably large chunk of his book. September 1st had come by quickly and Harry was currently located at the entrance of a fireplace at King's Cross. He also decided that he was never again flooing to the station even if his life depends on it. He dragged his trunks behind easily due to a Featherlight charm placed on by Tom. Harry was quite early so many cabins were empty. He picked one located towards the end of the train for a higher chance of privacy. He knew his friends would find him.

Harry watched as families apparated or flooed in. The muggle-borns walked in through the barrier and he was mesmerized by sheer simplicity of magic. He always loved it. And the fact it existed. Harry pulled the books out of his trunk and proceeded to read them. He realized the moment he opened them several days ago, that they had more pages than accounted for. He barely made a dent in the book by the time he started. It felt like every single Defensive spell known to Wizarding be it dark or light, was written in this book.

Time passed as fast as ever when the the compartment door opened and he was practically squeezed of all oxygen by a certain redhead. "Mate we've been looking for you everywhere. Hermione thought you were late and never showed up to the platform cause of your godawful relatives."

"I never said that Ron. I thought Harry was waiting for us on the platform." Hermione said sniffing and crossing her arms petulantly.

"Though, Harry I am glad you were already here. I was worried about you. How were the Dursley's treating you? I didnt get a chance in asking you last time."

Hermione didn't sound sympathetic or show any sort of compassion. She sounded quite odd. Almost like she was fishing for information more than to pity or to comfort. Harry was sort of glad. Not very though. He didnt need pity over his poor living conditions. Harry sighed warily. It didn't matter particularly. Hermione was his best friend and has been for two years. She had always been slightly anti-social. Did it really matter? No, it didn't. But it still felt weird. Harry brushed it off as overthinking. He always did read to much into a situation.

"It wasn't that bad. Really! Oh come on... don't look at me like that."

"Mate, there were bars on your windows. We have every right to look at you suspiciously."

"Harry, it's terrible. The way the Dursley's are treating you. We are glad you're okay though. Though I'm still very mad that you just ditched your home in favor of a pub/motel."

"Oh, cut me some slack Mione. I hated them. All of them."

"Well I'm glad you are okay now." Hermione said sighing resigned. Ron smiled and asked in his classic Ron Weasley-esque self, "Up for a game of chess then."

Several games of chess later all of which were Harry got slaughtered brutally all while Ron was cackling at him. "Harry." Hermione said in a slightly hushed tone. Solemn and still similar to a conspiratal whisper. "Have you heard of Sirius Black. He escaped didn't he?"

"Yeah, I heard of him, wasn't he a follower of Voldemort." Ron flinched at the sound of his name and shot Harry an annoyed look.

"Yeah, he was. Heard he was a pretty close follower of You-know-who. I can't believe he broke out of Azkaban." Ron said disbelieving. "It's supposed to be impossible to break out." Ron continued.

"Your dad said something to me." Harry's voice continued softly. Taking Hermione's tone of voice subconsciously. "About Black. Not to go after him. D'you know why?" Hermione looked at him questioningly.

"I suppose that's an odd way to say it but however odd it may be, it's best if you listen to him Harry. All the better in the end." Ron nodded along to Hermione's logic. "Well..." Harry's word were cut off when a sudden chill left them in complete darkness.

"Huh, are we at Hogwarts already." Ron asked. Harry couldn't see where he was.

"No, we only started leaving Kings Cross an hour ago." Hermione replied. A cold draft entered the room making all three shiver. The door creaked open and two other people fell in. One of them quickly cast lumos and looked around the cabin.

"Nev, Ginny. Are you two alright? What are you doing here?" Ron asked. His brows creased together looking at both of them. Eyes alight with worry.

"What's going on?" Harry asked.

"Azkaban guards." Neville replied shuddering. "They're probably looking for Black."

"Why would he be on the train?" Hermione asked. Another chill entered the cabin causing all the students to shudder. The cabin door creaked open eerily once more. All the children watched a wraith like figure standing by the door.

That's when Harry heard it. Screaming. So much screaming. A woman  asking no, begging to leave them and their son alone.

Everything was blurry shapes and figures. Harry couldn't make out who was who. But he could make a guess on one person. A woman. His mother.

"Please, we did it. We did what you wanted. We did it all for you. Spare him. He is a child." She pleaded.

"You lied, about it all. You betrayed me." A hazy monotone voice replied. Barely over a whisper. Harry couldn't make out who it was.

You knew. You knew we would do this. You played us all. Didn't you?" His mother shrieked. She sounded a bit insane. She sounded like Trelawny in a one way or another. "Spare him. Please. Take me."

"Move aside, you silly girl. We still have use for you. Where is your self-preservation?"

NO!" The women screamed. "NEVER!"

"You brought this onto yourself. It's time to suffer the consequences Evans. Cotuna artreria." What followed was another loud scream being cut off immediately. Almost as if her windpipe was crushed. It was. Another voice was heard in a distance followed by shouting distantly. Hissed words were heard. A flash of light. A scream. And... and...