7

The two boys sat with Sirius while he ate, they kept telling him about what has been going on and how Madam Bones is investigating Sirius' case. Harry suggest that Sirius write to Madam Bones, maybe they can set up a meeting, one where Sirius will be guaranteed to be safe. Sirius said he would so Harry said he would send Hedwig to him, but he also told Sirius about the house elves. He just didn't mention how many. Harry figured one could follow Sirius and if he looks like he's in danger, the elf could pop him to safety. After making a lot of plans, Harry and Neville had to leave before it got too late. Harry hugged his godfather again before heading out of the cave. Padfoot stayed at the entrance but watched as Harry and Neville headed back to Hogsmeade.

'Um, Harry, we've sort of gotten to know Luna, do you think she would be my date to the Yule ball?'

'I think she will Neville, she's a great girl so you couldn't have picked anyone better.'

'Okay, what about you? Any girl take your interest?'

'Most that keep asking me are the same ones that called me a liar or a dark lord. I can't trust them and the others I don't know. There are a few girls who never gave me a hard time, but, well, I doubt they would be receptive to an invitation from a Gryffindor.'

'Ah, a Slytherin. There not all bad or like Malfoy and Parkinson.'

'No, but I doubt they will want anything to do with Harry Potter,' Harry shrugged.

'Then you would be wrong.'

Harry and Neville turned to the sound of the girls voice. They saw two Slytherin girls, Tracy Davis and Daphne Greengrass.

'Oh, um, hi, sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like we don't like Slytherin's.'

'I wouldn't blame you if you did hate all Slytherin's Potter. But as your friend said, not all Slytherin's think like the ferret and his bitch,' Daphne said.

'Okay, well, would you like to go to the Yule ball with me?'

'Yes, I would. I will meet you at the bottom of the grand staircase at six. Oh and while you're out, maybe you could get some emerald green dress robes, since I will be using that colour for my accessories. It's just a thought,' Daphne smiled then walked off with her friend.

'Let's hurry to get these robes,' Harry said then dragged Neville back to the robe shop.

Neville laughed but he knew that Harry Potter, the-boy-who-lived, going to the Yule ball with the Slytherin ice princess was going to cause a lot of talk, and maybe a lot of trouble. Neville knew Ron wouldn't be able to resist opening his mouth about all Slytherin's being evil. He might even say they were trying to corrupt Harry. Neville wasn't sure if Harry was causing the pranks or not, he didn't care either way. But if Ron said anything about Harry taking Daphne to the ball then maybe the red head might end up seeing spiders again.

Harry and Neville were sitting together again in the corner of the common room. Neville was still helping Harry understand about the laws and customs of the magical world.

'Neville, if parents, or guardians can teach or hire tutors for their children, why do people like Malfoy come to Hogwarts?'

'All children must come to Hogwarts until they do their O.W.L.s. After that they can continue their education at home or with tutors.'

Harry's brow furrowed, 'That means you have to put up with five years of shitty teachers. I mean look at now. We haven't had potions in weeks, even if Snape never actually taught. Now we've lost the defence teacher and don't get me started on history of magic or Trelawney. We could use these years to learn more and probably learn from better people. It's bad enough we have to waste money on books for those classes that haven't helped us, but if I had to pay to come here then I might just sneak away until I was older. I wouldn't want my money wasted, even if part of already was. We've had four different defence teachers and only Remus was any good. Snape is the worst and he doesn't actually teach, unless you're a Slytherin. When Lockhart was here he made us buy all those books, which weren't cheap, and full of lies. You know Neville, I wonder if that's his game.'

'What do you mean, whose game?'

'He could be making sure that only Slytherin's can pass their potions O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s so only they can get jobs that require a good potions grade. I know healers need an O in potions before they can even begin their training. The way it is with Snape, I would say most won't even go into his N.E.W.T class. There will be the odd one like a Ravenclaw, or Hermione. I found out my mother was brilliant at potions I would have loved to do well in that class, sort of my way to honour her, but he made it impossible. When…he (meaning Sirius but Harry couldn't say the name with other's around) told me about my mother and how my father was on the quidditch team, I knew I was sort of honouring my father by playing quidditch, yet I can't do the same with my mother, all because of Snape.'

'He's terrible, I would have liked to do well in potions, that's why uncle Algie helps me during the holidays. But what you said before makes sense. Why though, why would he want to deliberately sabotage careers?'

'He's just a spiteful person, bitter,' Harry shrugged, 'Okay, he might have been pranked by my father and his friends, but he is ruining careers, and not just Gryffindor's. Anyway, I have to speak with the one…little person who is going with him if he decides to sees Madam Bones.'

Neville nodded, he knew why Harry was being vague, the portraits would hear what the students spoke about and they would relay that information to a teacher or the headmaster. Harry didn't trust any adult, apart from his godfather, he also didn't trust any teacher so he was being careful. But Neville also worked out that when Harry wanted the headmaster or teachers to know something then he would speak normally near the portraits. Now though, Neville knew Harry meant his house elf who would be watching Sirius if he did get to see Madam Bones.

Harry spoke with the house elves about his godfather and he hoped one would stay close to him but invisible in case Sirius needed to be rescued. After a lot of the elves volunteered, they worked it for five to take shifts around Sirius, but they would also take him food, tea, juice, clothes and now it was colder, they would make sure Sirius had a fireplace worked into his cave. Harry hoped it wouldn't be much longer before his godfather was free, but at least with the house elves Sirius would be able to eat and stay safe. He just wished he thought of asking the house elves for help with his godfather before now.

'Master Harry sir, the house elves found a lot of things in this room. We figured out that anything lost by a student or staff would come here to the come and go room.'

'Yeah, I figured a lot of the stuff we've seen in here must have been lost, like the clothes.'

'Well, we sorted through some of it to see if we could return them to the rightful owner. Most of the clothes belonged to people that left a long time ago. We were able to return some things to the students,' Dobby's grin got bigger at Harry's smile, 'But there is something else we found that can't be returned since it's impossible to know who lost it. We thought it might help you Master Harry and it's not like your stealing, just claiming lost property that was never claimed.'

'Okay, that makes sense especially if you can't find who lost it. But before you tell me what this item is, why are you talking better than before?'

'Since we have a kind and helpful master, house elves can allow their bond to strengthen. It doesn't just help with magic, it also helps us learn more, like how to speak properly.'

'Wow, that's great,' Harry grinned, 'So when the house elves talk like you used to, it was because you never wanted to fully bond with your master.'

'Yes, Dobby might have belonged to the bad Malfoy's, but dobby never wanted to give his complete loyalty to them so Dobby only had a partial bond. Dobby and all the house elves here knew you were the best master, so we all completed the bond which makes our speech better.'

Harry reached out and hugged dobby, 'Thank you Dobby, and thanks all of you. To me, you're my family, not just friends like I expected when we first did the bond,' Harry smiled at every house elf, 'Family, so from now on I want all of you to add Potter to your name.'

Harry had to wait until the house elves stopped crying or cheering before he could ask Dobby about the item he found.