Chapter 2: The Very First Shift

Alexis POV:

I loaded the war bags into the trunk and stood to the side, waiting for Tim to make sure I'd done it properly. I was pretty sure I had, but he is a control freak.

"Good Job Boot." Tim says, shutting the trunk.

I looked at him in shock, before asking with a small smirk,
"Wow, a compliment from The Officer Bradford. I must be doing something right?"

He gave me a look before telling me to shut up and get in. I did so, still smirking slightly.

We set off, just patrolling around waiting for a call when Tim asked,
"So, what's the deal with your last name, its different to Chen's?"

I grimaced. I knew this question would come up, I just didn't think it would be this soon. I sighed and said,

"Well, Lucy is obviously older and she was the golden child. When I was born, my parents decided I didn't measure up enough, even as a newborn, so they gave me my mother's maiden name, which she doesn't like. So Lucy has the same last name as our parents, I don't."

I looked away, staring out the window, willing myself not to cry. Almost like a miracle, the radio goes off. "7-Adam-19 we have a possible 415 at 555 Millburn avenue."

Tim grabs it, replying to attach us to the call, then turns to me,

"You ready for your first call Boot?"

"Yes sir."

We arrive at the small corner shop and park at the back, drawing our weapons and creeping to the side window, Tim in front. We reach the window and he peers through for a second before moving back and pulling out his radio to call for backup. There is 2 men in the store, both armed with handguns. Tim silently signals, and we begin to crouch and walk quickly to the side of the entrance. Peering round the corner, Tim sees one of the men place his gun on the counter to grab money and he turns to me, giving the signal.

"POLICE, DROP YOUR WEAPONS"
"GET DOWN ON THE GROUND"

The other suspect places his gun down slowly, and I move over to him, cuffing him and pulling him up as Tim does the same to the first guy. We are just making sure the civilians are okay as Backup arrives, and it just so happens to be Lucy and Nolan.

"You guys okay?" Nolan asks Bradford and I, we both nod. Tim then asks Lucy to take one of the suspects back to the station in their shop before turning to me,

"Let's go boot, take him back to the shop."

"Yes sir." I respond, pulling the guy with me through the doors and towards the back where the shop is parked.

"Not bad for your first arrest boot."
Tim says to me after we've loaded the suspect into the back of the shop.

"Thank you sir, that means a lot."
I reply, smiling slightly to myself as I climb back into the shop. We drive silently, apart from the suspect grumbling in the back, all the way to the station, where we then process the suspect and head back out onto the streets.