Chapter 8: I'll protect you

LEXI POV:

Today is the day I've been dreading all year. It's the 21st of April. I can't do this. It's been 5 years, and I still hate this day. It's a day full of PTSD episodes, panic attacks, and tears. And to make it all better, I have to work today. This is going to suck.

I get into work a little spaced out. I'm sitting in roll-call and I can't hear a word of what Sargent Grey is saying, I'm just focusing on trying not to cry. *Don't panic* I think to myself, *You're not there, you're at the station, it's going to be okay.*

"OFFICER DIAZ!"

I'm snapped out of my trance to see Grey yelling to try and get my attention. I snap upwards,

"Yes, sir, sorry, sir."

"My office after roll call, please."

"Yes sir."

Oh god. Here we go...

I knock on the office door, and Sargent Grey beckons me in. I walk in and close the door behind me, standing in front of him.

"You wanted to see me, sir?"
I asked, trying to hide my trembling.

"Yes, I did. I want to know what's going on with you today. You're usually so focused. Is something going on?"

Grey said to me, an unusual look of sympathy in his eyes.

I wanted to tell him so badly, I was trying so hard not to break down there and then, but I held it together.

"Just a personal vendetta, sir. I'm sorry, I won't let it distract me again. I lost focus, and I shouldn't have. It won't happen again."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, sir."

"Fine then. You're dismissed."

I walk out of the office, still trying to keep my composure as I head to our shop. Nyla studies my expression silently as I get into the car and sit waiting for her. I just need to get through today...

We get to our call, and just great, it's a domestic dispute. We knock on the door with the usual, 'LAPD open up', and a woman comes to the door yelling about her husband. We walk in to see a 6ft tall man stamping his feet like a toddler and screaming about her being a bad wife. We begin to calm the two and ask them the usual questions.
However, it all goes downhill when I ask the man if he thinks its best for them to calm down separately. He stands up to face me and begins yelling at me. He grabs hold of my arm and tries to shake me. Nyla runs over, kicks his hand away, and puts him on his ass. I take a step back, trying to calm my breathing as I realise I'm hyperventilating. My feet falter, and I fall to the floor. Memories are flashing through my head at lightning speed. All I can see is his face and his hands on me. I can't get away from it....

NYLA POV:

I put the guy on the floor, and I turned to ask if Lexi is okay. She suddenly falls to the floor, hyperventilating and crying. I rush over, pulling her towards me, trying to wake her from the state she is in. Nothing is working, so I pull out my radio,

"7-Adam-19 requesting backup, an RA and Officer Chen to *** ****** Street. Code 3"

I sit on the floor with Lexi, talking to her and stroking her hair, trying to figure out a way of grounding her and pulling her out of the episode.

5 minutes later, Lucy and Nolan pull up. Chen jumps out of their shop and runs over, asking what is going on. I explained to her what happened and asked if she knew why lexi had been off all day.

"What's the date?" Lucy suddenly asks

"21st of April, why?" I reply.

A sudden look of fear comes into her eyes as she looks from me to her sister. She yells at Nolan to grab a bottle of water and pulls Lexi toward her. Nolan hands her the bottle, Lucy undoes the bottle and gently pours the cold water onto Lexi's wrists. Lexi twitches and seems to be slowly coming back to reality. Unexpectedly, Lucy begins to sing softly,

"As long as I'm here, no one can hurt you..."

Lexi comes back to reality and looks up at her sister before bursting into tears in her arms. Lucy sits there, rocking her younger sister in her arms as she sobs. Lucy looks up at me and smiles weakly before saying to her sister,

"Remember what I used to sing to you when this all began?"

"Where the North wind meets the sea, there's a river, full of memories....
Sleep my darling safe and sound, for in this river all is found...."

...............................................
A/N: IM SORRY ITS A CLIFFHANGER AND ITS SHORT. TRYING MY BEST BUT WRITING THESE AS A DYSLEXIC PERSON IS DIFFICULT, :)