Chapter 16

LEXI POV:
I wake up to my alarm, still curled up in a ball at the bottom of my bed. I press the snooze button and sigh. It's going to be a long day. I sit up and rub my eyes, which are still slightly puffy from the tears I couldn't hold last night. I get up and go into the bathroom to get ready for work. I make sure to put concealer on my eyes and then put the concealer stick in my bag for work. Once I'm all ready, I put my hair in a bun and pull my single strand of hair out of the front. I grab my bag and keys and head to my car. Today is gonna be one of those days, I can feel it.

.......................

I get to the station and walk into roll call, Angela is looking at me with pity as I sit down. God, I wish she wouldn't. I go about my business, reading some notes until Sargent Grey walks in. He clears his throat;

"Morning everyone, settle down. First things first, I have an announcement. Today marks that special moment in what I would call our rookies careers. However, we seem to only have a small success rate with this class so far, so it is our rookie's career."

A handful of people chuckle around the room, and I allow myself a small smile.

"From today, our very own Officer Diaz will be wearing short sleeves!"

Everyone claps loudly, and I can practically hear Nyla and Lucy's smiles. I, however, am not smiling. My arms are a mess. I don't need people seeing that. My concealer! I'll be fine, I think.

"Congratulations, Officer Diaz! Now on to our next port of call. Detective Lopez is going back to her full-time cushy desk job with the detectives. And to make everyone's day just a little better. Night shift left 32 open cases, so have fun with that! Alright, be safe out there."