Sixteen Dollars

'Hello, my son,'

Mikey blinked his eyes open, taking in the place he found himself. The two sat under a willow tree, the leaves casting a curtained shadow on the ground they sat on, and giving their meeting a sense of privacy in the field.

He returned his gaze to the rat sitting in front of him, a deep sense of guilt welling up inside him. His father gave him the honor of leading the Hamato clan in a new direction, but all he managed to do was fight with his brothers and then run away.

'It is good to see you,' Splinter continued, 'Though, I am confused how you got here,'

Mikey rubbed the back of his head, unable to maintain eye contact. When he went to respond, he suddenly felt a figure jump on his shell.

'Don't you see, Yoshi? He's on an adventure!'

Tang Shen pecked Mikey's cheek, drifting over to her husband and floating beside him. She playfully tugged on his whiskers before planting a kiss on his forehead. Splinter raised an eyebrow at her, gently guiding the woman to sit beside him.

'America is expansive and beautiful,' Tang Shen leaned on her husband's shoulder, 'It's a shame that the boys haven't seen it,'

Splinter chuckled at her antics, planting a kiss on her hand. He gazed at her fondly before turning his soft gaze onto Mikey.

'Traveling is good for the soul,' He said, 'That is why I made my to New York in the first place,'

Mikey tilted his head at that, curiosity nipping at his brain. Splinter looked over at him, his face gaining a more sorrow filled expression.

'After...the Shredder attacked my home, I couldn't...being-I...I could not bring myself to keep living so close to the place of my tragedy. So, as soon as I could, I fled to a place that I hoped could help me...be releived of my pains,'

He reached towards a table that Mikey seen until now and grabbed a glass of what Mikey assumed to be sake. The turtle watched as his father took a long sip of the drink, glancing over at Tang Shen. The woman had gone still, staring sadly at the ground, a hand running over her stomach.

'However, I never could have thought that I would be blessed with four wonderful sons. Even if they came about in a very strange way,'

Mikey watched him set down his glass.

'I have faith in my sons, and their abilities. If you need to travel, then I take no issue with it,'

'Really!?' Mikey asked, 'So... you're not worried?'

'Of course I'm worried!' Splinter snapped, 'I'm your father, it is my job to worry,'

The rat passed a hand over his face, stroking his whiskers.

'You've left New York without any of your friends or brothers, traveling almost a thousand miles away! Even now, you sleep in the woods twenty yards from the road! And you left your T-phone behind-'

'Ai! Darling you worry too much!' Tang Shen grasped Splinter's hand, squishing his face, 'He'll be fine! We're watching over him!'

Splinter huffed, grasping her hand and pulling her closer to him. Giggling, Tang Shen wrapped her arms around his shoulders, swinging her legs up onto his lap. She looked at him smugly, the rat returning her look with an amused expression.

Mikey looked away as they continued flirting, letting out a huff. He didn't come here to be flexed on by his own father.

'Tang Shen? I have a question,'