Seventeen Stars in the Sky

Leo opened his eyes to a familiar place.

The field was as beautiful as ever, the sun peeking over the horizon, signifying the dawn or perhaps dusk, he couldn't really tell. The willow gently swayed in the wind, it's hanging vines rippling with the movements.

How long had it been since he'd been here? It had to have been months. They've been living in peace ever since the Shredder had been defeated, so there was no need for Splinter to contact them.

If that's the case, then why was he here now? Is something happening? Is it something with Mikey?

Leo stood and looked around. His father wasn't anywhere in sight, despite this clearly being where he had met him before. He scanned the field, taking in every movement, trying to find that of his father's.

'Ah! Leonardo, there you are,'

The turtle jumped, not having been able to sense his Sensei behind him. He spun around and knelt in front of his father, bowing his head with upmost respect.

'Come, Leonardo, have some tea,' Splinter said. Leo slowly looked up, a bit confused. He followed his father over to a different tree, a tea set sitting on a short table underneath it. Splinter sat beside it, pouring the drink into the two cups on the table.

'Uh, Sensei-'

'Sit, Leonardo. Would you like some cheese and crackers?'

'Oh! Uh, sure...' Leo took a seat of front of Splinter, accepting the hot cup presented to him. Despite knowing he can't get injured here, he sipped his tea slowly, his eye catching sight of the plate of cheese that wasn't there before.

'Eat, my son,' Splinter let out a hardy chuckle, slipping a few pieces of cheese into his mouth, 'We haven't talked for a long time,'

Leo slowly lowered his cup. He glanced at the plate, utterly confused as to what's happening. Was he trying to get Leo relax before warning him? That was hardly necessary, with everything he's been through he could certainly take some hard news.

'Master Splinter, why am I here? Is something going on?' Leo asked. The rat glanced at him over the rim of his cup, taking a long sip.

'Do I need an excuse to visit my son?' Splinter returned. This caught Leo off guard, nearly spilling his tea.

'O-oh, uh, I guess not, but...' The turtle stuttered, quickly sipping his drink. Splinter quietly chuckled, setting down his glass.

'Is there, perhaps, something you are worried about?' His father asked. 'You have been quite agitated lately,'

Leo fell quiet. Splinter knew how he was feeling, knew everything that has been happening, but has to ask why he's upset? Why? Does he want specifics?

'Mikey ran away,' He started, 'He bought a burner phone, stole a stealth bike and left New York,'

'Why, yes,' Splinter answered, 'I have seen it. He's traveling to a friend's house, one whom I hope will help him. I understand why you are worried, I myself am afraid.'

The rat looked to the side, folding his hands neatly on his lap.

'It is natural to worry after those who you care for, especially living the way you do. But that is the struggle present in all families.'