Chapter Four: Can you smell the toxic masculinity yet

(I love being able to just write a small chapter a day, I also love Pike...sometimes)
~~~~~~

My after school schedule for the day consisted of driving Lila home, dropping her off and then making my way home.
My house was my sanctuary.
It was a beautiful two story Victorian that my grandma had passed on to my mom after dad died.
When I was seven we spent the week painting it it my favorite shade of green. Pike and Theo had come over to help which just resulted in us running around the last hour chasing each-other with paint. Pike had protected me from getting painted by Theo.
Everything was easy when we were younger.

I parked in the driveway and was making my way to the front door when I felt a presence behind me. I turned around and was shocked to see Jason Presby in my driveway looking at me sheepishly.
"Jesus fuck, don't scare me like that!"
I yelped. Once the fear was gone I was mostly confused as to why Jason was here.
"Hey yeah sorry I know this is super weird"
"You randomly showing up in my driveway and silently standing their like a weird serial killer? Yeah...weird"
Jason was admittably  gorgeous, a jerk, but gorgeous.
So much so that even though I was severely confused and slightly uncomfortable I couldn't help looking him up and down.
He was at least 6'3, tan skin, freckles and dark eyes but his hair was beautiful, dark brown curls.

"Uh Laney? Did you hear me?"
Jason asked, jerking me out of the little trance I had been in.
"Uh no yeah sorry what did you say"
A little smirk crossed his lips before he repeated himself.
"I know we don't really hang out or have the same group but you're cool and the smartest person I know so I was wondering if you could tutor me in...my english...please"
Somewhere in the universe I knew there had to be a little evil person controlling my life and laughing because the last three days had been too crazy weird.
"Tutor you? You need to be tutored?" I asked. It was pretty well known I tutored kids in english on Fridays so I wasn't surprised he knew I tutored but I was surprised he needed it and was asking ME out of everyone else that would fall to their knees to help him.
He ran his hand through his hair and kind of shifted on his feet.
"Yeah I do, its the only class I'm failing and I'm on the hockey team so failed class equals no time on the ice"
I let out a sigh.
"Id pay you of course" he said quickly, probably thinking my hesitation came from the lack of compensation offered when in reality the hesitation came from two things.
One: this was happening randomly
Two: Jason Presby was a known fuck boy/ Jerk

But for some reason I found myself saying "sure, yeah I'll do it"
He looked as shocked as I felt at me agreeing.
His face suddenly lit up like a puppy and he lunged forward and grabbed me into a hug, spinning me around.
"Hell yeah thank you thank you thank you" he said excitedly.
"Oh my god, Jason put me down!" I laughed as he continued spinning me.

"What the fuck is happening here"
A familiar deep voice growled from across the yard.
I felt Jason tense up as he sat my feet back on the ground.
Standing like a dark omen and staring at me for the second time today was Pike.
He was in running clothes and dripping with sweat, his long hair tied back and his eyes moving back and forth between me and Jason.
Jason who was meeting Pike's stare.
This probably wasn't going to go well.