Chapter 26

Ashes - Stellar

Now that I got a taste

I think that I'd suffocate

For every second that you aren't by my side

But now I'm stuck at the gate

Of Lucifer's estate

I fell in love with a girl I met in Hell

— — — — —

Ace

The last hour has gone by in the blink of an eye. Our guys had an extraction last night so today the four of us went in to help with processing while Hunter closes out the yacht job. Tate is scouring the Underdark channels on at least three different things so really it's just Eli, Dean, and me getting a dozen girls processed and housed.

We're nowhere near finished but it's becoming increasingly difficult to focus on my task. My mind keeps wandering to Solana and Hunter, wondering if they're at each other's throats or if they've finally cleared the air. There's a noticeable tension constricting my chest. It began at first only when I'd think of them, but now it's constant. But then again my mind is now constantly thinking about them. Either way it doesn't feel good.

I rub at my chest hoping to soothe the ache but it's relentless. The hand that's not kneading my chest reaches for my phone to call Hunter. Maybe if I check in with them and confirm that they're fine I'll stop thinking about them and this ache will finally loosen its grip on my chest.

Hunter picks up on the third ring. "Yeah?" Hunter sounds exasperated.

Before I can say anything there's a loud bang and a crash in the background, followed by a heavy thud. "What the fuck! Solana get back here!" Hunter's voice sounds distant, like he dropped the phone.

For fuck's sake. I really can't leave these two alone. I sit on the phone listening for their voices but all I hear is Hunter cursing to himself. The sound of footsteps on gravel becomes louder and louder until there's some shuffling while Hunter picks up the phone he dropped.

"All good?" I ask Hunter when I hear him sigh into the phone.

"No, Sol took off. Fuck!" Hunter growls and I can hear him slam his hands against the car.

I pinch the bridge of my nose and take a deep breath before I completely lose my shit. "Took off where?" I manage to growl out without fuming.

"If I knew that, don't you think I'd be following her? She fucking flew off!"

"Watch it, Hunter." I snarl at him through the phone. By now Tate has taken note of my conversation and walks over to me when I nod at him. "I'll get Tate to track her phone."

Tate's eyes roll to the back of his head and he walks away muttering something insulting about Hunter and his babysitting skills.

"Don't bother. It's sitting in my car."

"What the fuck happened this time?" I bark into the phone, my tightening grip threatening to crush it in my hand.

"I told you to keep her at home," he seethes at me lowly. "Reef wanted her in exchange for the girls we intercepted."

Rage burns white hot through my veins so fast that all I see is red. "He put his hands on her?"

Hunter lets out an animalistic growl. "No one will ever touch her."