Chapter 27

Solana

I wasn't thrilled when Ace threatened me the way he did, saying he was going to deliver me back home like some rabid animal, and despite my snarling and loathsome stares over the last week, he hasn't seen fit to make good on that threat.

In fact, outside of breakfast I haven't seen him at all since that night seven days ago. And neither of us have slept in his room since then either. I couldn't stand being surrounded by his scent. I couldn't stand wanting him.

From how strong his scent was in the living room I could tell he's been taking up residence on the couch. I, on the other hand, have been picking a bed at random every night. And every night new hands pull me close against their owner's chest. Every night different lips are drawn to my skin, planting kisses on my cheeks, neck, and shoulders when they think I'm asleep. Every night I've felt Eli, Dean, or Tate inhale my scent and relax into sleep behind me.

Before the sun rose each morning I'd slip out of their warm beds and work on repairing the back deck — anything to avoid seeing Hunter and Ace prowling through the house. In a small way it made me feel like I was back in Shadowmoon, back home, working to rebuild and repair with my own hands. A labor of love.

But this isn't love, this is just my need to be doing something at all times. Progressing. Moving. Sitting still will get you killed, settling down and being content will get you killed.

By the fourth day I had rebuilt the deck plus an extension and new wrap around benches. Despite the new cushions and cozy lounge area, I chose to watch the sunrise every morning from the roof. Hunter used to say that sunrises were more precious than sunsets because so many fewer people are ever awake to witness them.

Now I watch them in the hopes that the sun's bleaching rays will absolve me of the dark deeds done in the night.

This past week has been less eventful than the first few days of being here. Every morning the guys trickle out and Hunter stays behind. I know Ace is doing it on purpose. He knows I want nothing to do with Hunter and I'll go out of my way not to interact with him, so who better than Hunter to babysit me?

Today is different, though. It's well past time for them to leave and go wherever the fuck they go, but all five of them are sitting around the coffee table deep in discussion.

Ace sits in a weathered leather armchair across from another more modern one occupied by Tate, who's sitting hunched over looking through something on his computer. Eli and Dean sit on the couch while Hunter sits on the armrest, mindlessly twirling a knife, with his feet on the couch cushion next to Eli.

It's useless for me to hide, Tate can see right through my veil and Ace can smell me from across the street, but I do it anyway. I press myself against the kitchen wall where I can easily see and hear the guys.

"Can we afford to move up our timeline?" Ace asks.

"We're ready to go, but the girls we were using to get in aren't available tonight." Tate is the one who responds.

"I'm not missing this window over a couple of strippers." Ace barks.

"Exotic dancers," Tate corrects him but his devious smirk reveals that he's just trying to provoke Ace.

After a few quiet beats Dean speaks up, "what if I brought her."

"Her who?" Hunter asks, genuinely confused.

"The only her in this house. Solana."

I can practically hear Ace's teeth grinding down on one another, like the very mention of my name is acid to his senses.