Chapter 34

'Cause you're too sexy, beautiful

And everybody wants a taste

That's why I still get jealous

Jealous - Nick Jonas

— — — — —

Ace

Work never seems to end. I close one file only for five more to pile up on my desk. At least I don't have to worry about Sol today. The risk of harm at a nail salon is next to zero, especially with Eli and Tate alongside her. Which enables me to focus rather well on the work in front of me for the first time in weeks.

Sometime in mid afternoon when I've long since missed lunch, I catch Tate's scent in my office.

"You guys were out for a while. Don't tell me you got your nails done, too?" I say to what looks like an empty room.

Tate unveils himself and makes himself at home on my couch in his usual spot where the fabric of the sofa is slightly more worn, there's an indent on the table's surface where the pads of his computer notch, and a water stain from countless glasses he's stationed there.

He's truly a creature of habit — and control. He's meticulous and precise in all aspects of his life and has been invaluable to our pack. I would trust Tate with my life. But even having said that I find that I can't say the same for Solana's life. The only one I trust unquestionably with her is me, quite frankly.

"Eli and Sol?" I ask simply knowing he'll read deeper into my question.

"He brought her home." Tate's lips part as if he wants to continue but thinks better of it and kills the thought before it hatches.

"Any issues while you were out?" I ask before he can disappear behind his screen.

"There were a few notable moments but nothing that impacted her safety." Tate answers cryptically. He's playing games with me now. He told me she's safe, which is all that should matter to me. But now they all know I've slept with her, so if I ask him to elaborate then I'm admitting that I'm interested in things pertaining to Solana beyond her safety.

"Notable in what way?" I feign indifference by shuffling through some papers as I ask the question.

"She has a fascinating family tree," Tate muses. "And she sliced her hand open when she stabbed the bar top. But otherwise it was a fairly mundane outing."

With a heavy sigh, I press the heels of my hands against my eyes. "Do I even want to know?"

Tate gives off a sly smirk as he considers my question. "Like I said, a fascinating family tree. But in this instance she was upset by news of her grandmother, the former Queen Ianthe, being passed over for Elder."

This girl. It's like she has no regard for her own safety. She can't even go out with her sister without drawing blood. Her knee-jerk reactions to everything are going to get her killed before any bounty hunter can even touch her.

Somehow I'm going to have to teach her to control her fire rather than letting it control her.

Tate and I work in silence for several more hours, or I pretend to at least. The temptation to pack up and go home to her grows heavier and heavier until I slam shut the folder I've tried to read sixty times in the last five minutes.

"Let's take our work home, I've had enough of these four walls for one day." I say to Tate.

"Before we do that, there's something you should see."