16

January 10, 2013

Kamryn was still sleeping when Jay came home with the chocolate shake his daughter had asked Hailey for, so he put it in the freezer for later.

"She's been sick a lot lately," Jay sighed, sitting beside Hailey who had Kamryn sound asleep on her lap.

"Yeah, I'm gonna bring it up next week. We had to schedule a follow-up for her so they can recheck the strep," She sighed, playing with Kamryn's head of hair.

"Probably a good idea," He sighed.

Later on that night, Kamryn had her shake and her medicine before they got her in her bedroom and sent her off to Dreamland.

—————-
January 11, 2013

Jay woke up at 4 in the morning to coughing coming from Kamryn's room across the hall so he got up, ran downstairs, and grabbed a cough drop and water before he took it to the little ones' bedroom.

"Kam you okay?" He whispered, walking into her bedroom.

"My throat hurts," She mumbled, before coughing again.

"I know hun," He said as he opened the small bottle of water and handed it to her, "Take a sip Kam,"

Kamryn took a quick drink of water before taking the cough drop that Jay gave her.

"That better?" he asked, watching as she nodded and laid down. "Alright, go back to sleep,"

Kamryn nodded and let out a few little coughs as Jay tucked her in. He stayed in her room until her little blue eyes shut and she was sound asleep again and he headed back to bed with his wife.

"She okay?" Hailey asked as he came back into the bedroom.

"Coughing must've woken her up. I gave her a cough drop," He said as he slipped back into their big bed, "I wouldn't be shocked if she woke up again,"

"If she does, I'll just bring her to bed with us," She sighed, getting comfortable again as they both went back to bed.

Kamryn woke up again at 5, this time coming to Hailey's side of the bed and pulling on her arm, "Mommy?"

"Hmm?" Hailey mumbled, slowly waking up to her daughter as she stood by the bed, "What's wrong baby?"

"It hurts again," She told her, climbing up as Hailey scooted closer to Jay to make room for Kamryn to cuddle up.

"We'll get your medicine in a little bit honey, just come cuddle for a little bit. Do you want some water?" She asked as she grabbed the unopened water bottle from her bedside table.

Kamryn sat up and took a drink before she laid down and faced Hailey, snuggling into her side for another hour and a half.

The alarms started blaring at 6:30, waking the small family of 3 up for the day. Kamryn just rolled over and went back to bed while Jay called in for the day since Hailey had picked her up the day before. He made them all a quick breakfast and made sure it was something that would be easy on Kamryn's throat and quick for Hailey to eat before she went to work.

He went upstairs after Hailey had left with 2 plates of eggs and another water bottle that he was going to push. He planned to run out with Kam and get some orange juice and snacks that he knew she would eat while the medicine worked and helped her feel better.

"Hey stinker, time to wake up," he said as he walked into the room with Kam's meal.

"No Daddy," She mumbled, trying to pull her parent's heavy comforter over her again.

"Come on Kammy, you need to eat and take your medicine," He spoke as he measured out the dosage that was written on the bottle, "Come on sweetie,"

she whined but she did sit up and took the medicine from the medicine cup. "It's so gross Daddy,"

"I know it is Kam but it's gonna help you feel better," He told her, setting the medicine cup and bottle on his nightstand before he and his daughter ate their breakfast.

"Again?" She asked, looking at him with a scowl on her face.

"Mama is gonna talk to your doctor about it and see if we can figure out what's going on," He told her, kissing her head.

"I don't like it, daddy," She mumbled before she quietly ate her plate of scrambled eggs.

"I know you don't honey," He nodded, taking her plate and running them downstairs, and grabbing the chocolate shake that had been left in the freezer overnight. "Here Kammy, you can have your shake from yesterday. You slept all night after I got home,"

She smiled a little bit and started to try and suck some frozen bits from the straw but couldn't get any and was getting a little upset.

"Okay honey, let's let it melt a little bit before we try a drink," He told her, taking the drink and setting it on Hailey's bedside table. "Why don't you try and take a little nap?"

"Okay," She mumbled, "Can we watch a movie?"

"Yeah, what do you want to watch?" He asked, pulling out their DVD collection.

Kamryn and Jay went through all of the options before settling on Cars which had always been a favorite in the Halstead Household. Kamryn dozed on and off through the movie but never fully fell asleep. She'd mumble certain phrases but never seemed to let go of Jay.

Jay didn't mind the extra time with his daughter, even if she was sick and they couldn't do much outside the house.

Kamryn was everything to them.