22

Around 9 Pm, Hailey went upstairs and knocked on Kamryn's door to let her know it was time for bed. Their daughter knew her own bedtime but they always made sure that she knew, they knew it was time to head to bed.

"Kam?" Hailey asked as she knocked on the preteen's bedroom door.

"Yeah?" She asked, looking up from her phone as Hailey walked in.

"Hey. Time to put the phone up and get to bed," Hailey told her, sitting on the bed, "Dad and I are really trusting you with this,"

"Okay," she nodded, getting out of her bed and putting her phone on the charger at her desk. "I promise. I'll keep it on the charger all night,"

"Okay," she nodded, kissing her forehead, "Night baby. I love you,"

"Love you too mama," Kam smiled, kissing Hailey's cheek before she got back into her bed. It didn't take her too long to snuggle under her covers and fall asleep for the night.

Hailey went to bed with Jay after telling Kamryn Goodnight and both of them checked in on her to make sure she wasn't using her phone. They were both very happy with the way Kamryn behaved and that she respected that they wanted things done a certain way. Not that Kamryn wouldn't because it was how they raised her.

They both found her asleep and went to bed with a smile.

The next morning, Kamryn got up, brushed her teeth, and got dressed before she got her phone and started playing a game she'd downloaded the night before.

She was always pretty good about getting herself out of bed and now had even more motivation.

"Look at you. All ready to go and it's not even 7 yet," Hailey chuckled, coming down the steps to see Kamryn on the couch.

"I wanted to play my game," she smiled a little.

"Just don't get too addicted there kiddo or I'll set time limits," she chuckled, only half joking with her daughter.

"I know mama. I'm just playing this game while I wait for the bus," Kamryn smiled as she moved her finger around the screen.

"Did you eat yet?" Hailey asked, heading out to the kitchen.

"Not yet," Kamryn answered her as she shook her head.

"Do you want cereal or a bagel?"

"Bagel, please! With butter?" She asked, turning her phone off and going out to the kitchen with Hailey.

"Did you pack your lunch or do you want to buy today?" Hailey asked, looking at her daughter.

"Can I buy? It's those rolled chicken things," she asked, turning off the screen as she ate her bagel.

"Yeah. Go get my wallet and I'll get you some money," she told her, pointing to the counter where her wallet was always laying.

Kamryn did as she was told and handed Hailey's wallet to her, watching as Hailey got a 5 dollar bill out for her lunch.

"Did we hear about volleyball yet?" Kam asked, putting the 5-dollar bill in the front pocket of her backpack.

"I'll check babe," she said as she got the bagel from the toaster and handed the plate to Kamryn. "You're old enough, you can butter your own bagel,"

Kamryn nodded again and started to spread the butter as Hailey looked in her email for tryout results.

"Look hon," she grinned as she highlighted the last name on the roster Kamryn Halstead.

"I made it?" Kamryn asked in disbelief as she looked at the email.

"You made it! I'm so proud of you Kam!"

"Made what?" Jay asked as he came down the steps.

"I made the Volleyball team!" She beamed, jumping up and down happily.

"Good job Kammy!" Jay also smiled, hugging her tightly, "I'm so proud of you kiddo!"

"Thanks, Dad, but you know this means a lot more practice in the backyard. So I can kick your butt!" She beamed before she ran upstairs to text her friends.

"Kam no running in the house!" Hailey called as their daughter ran up the steps.

"Sorry, Mom!" She called back before she laid on her bed, playing on her phone and texting her friends as she waited for the bus.

It only took a few minutes before it arrived and she quickly gave her parents a hug goodbye before she ran outside and boarded the school bus. She sat next to her best friend, Gabby, setting her bag on her lap before she started talking.

"Guess what!" She beamed, turning a little to look at her bestie.

"You saw an alien," Gabby guessed, being silly about it as she looked at Kamryn.

"Only in my dreams," She joked, "No. I made the volleyball team!"

"Congrats!" Gabby said as she hugged her friend and they talked about so much more on the short bus ride.

——————

The school day passed quickly and she was soon meeting Hailey and Jay at the front doors of the school for the first volleyball meeting with parents.

"hey kid," Jay said as he got through the door behind Hailey.

"Hey pops," she smiled, hugging him as they went into the library where the meeting was being held.

"Hi," The assistant coach, Macey, smiled, "Kamryn's parents?"

"Yep," Hailey nodded, signing in for both her and Jay before they went and found a table to sit at.

"Alright. I think everyone is here," The head coach, Sarah, smiled at the group, "I think we're gonna have a pretty solid team this year and I'm really hoping that these girls will go far and maybe make state this year in their division!"