ʜᴏʟʟʏᴡᴏᴏᴅ ᴠᴀᴍᴘ

Jade West was a vampire. Well, half-vampire, to be more exact; her father was a vampire, and her mother was human. Technically speaking, she would be something like one-billionth vampire, since pureblood vampires were long gone.

Being a vampire was okay. Thanks to vampires having kids with humans and the vampire blood being diluted over generations, Jade could go out in the sun, eat garlic and do basically whatever humans could do. There were occasionally times where she felt thirsty for blood, but luckily, her best friend Cat's brother somehow had a huge supply.

One plus side of being a vampire was good looks. Apparently, the genes for sun and garlic allergy had disappeared (plus the pointy fangs), but the genes for good looks had thrived. Survival of the fittest, she guessed.

Being a vampire in Hollywood was great. She would get street cast a lot, and nobody cared if her skin was a bit too pale, or if her lips were a shade too red.

Right now, as a freshman at Hollywood Arts, Jade was pretty much satisfied with her life. She had friends, okay grades, and a reputation.

Before the first class of the day - Sikowitz's - Jade met her group of friends by the locker. They all said hello, then Andre said: "We were talking about the Big Showcase."

Jade nodded. Andre, being a talented musician, was the only freshman who had been cast to perform in the Showcase. It took place yesterday, but Jade hadn't seen it.

"How'd it go?" she asked.

"Well- this girl, Tori Vega- she had to stand in for her sister at the last minute. She gave a fantastic performance, and she got accepted into HA!"

Jade raised an eyebrow. Hollywood Arts was known for being a prestigious art school; if that girl had gotten in impromptu without a proper audition, then she must be good.

They were all filing into class when Jade heard an unfamiliar voice go, "Oh my god! I'm so sorry."