6: You Glamorize Your Pain, Where It On Display

"But then what will I call you? Orange? You'd have the same nickname as Donald Trump." Lia whined as they were at Walmart trying to find a hair so she could complete her bucket list from the next day. They had just eaten at In-and-Out for dinner after their hike and stopped her for hair dye, but the decision was a bit touchy since Lia's nickname for Blondie was her hair color.

Blondie pondered upon orange, but with the comment Lia made, she put it back. "I wanna do something unique... I might as well die looking cool..." Blondie took a box of black dye and pink dye.

"Like one side half and the other side half?"

Blondie nodded at the possibility.

"Then you could go by Melanie for Melanie Martinez since you'll have her hair!" Lia pitched.

Blondie's smile dropped and she looked down. It didn't take long for Lia to piece it all together either.

"That was her name, wasn't it?" She said, looking down and playing with her fingers, "I'm sor-"

"You didn't know, it's okay. We can just forget about it, and no, her name is Buttface, remember?" Blondie winked, Lia lightly giggled and felt better when Blondie looked at the boxes. She moved on from it and got back to the hair dye.

The black box was labeled with Obsidian Black, and the other one was labeled with Pink Heather.

"What about Heather? Could you call me that?" She asked the shorter one.

Lia nodded saying that the name was cute and it was one of her favorite songs.

"Great, it would have been a little awkward to moan 'Blondie' when I take your virginity, right?" Blondie teased, to which Lia playfully giggled and slapped her arm without actually touching it.

"So you're gonna have pink hair?" She said to divert away from the talk of sex in Walmart.

"I wanna do mostly black, and then a pink strike in the front. My name could be Heather Black now."

"Then I'm Lia Black."

"Are we married now?"

"Oh Blondie, we were married the second you took me to dinner back in San Fran."

"Let's buy rings, shall we?"

"Seriously?"

Blondie nodded, taking Lia's hand and leading them both to the jewelry section where there were glass displays of jewelry. Rings from Walmart weren't exactly what Lia had in mind, but it's always the thought that counts.

With the hair dye, they bought two matching rings, whether they were made of real material was questionable. But they only had to last for five days.

Then they went home, bathed, gave Bella a bath and went to bed, both sleeping like doorknobs.

The next morning, the sunrise was a wide variety of oranges and pink, no purple this time. And there were only a few little puffs of clouds distant to one another in the sky.

Smoking for breakfast, Blondie drew with intention, Bella in her lap yet again as if that was her new safeplace.

"Wow, it's especially beautiful this morning." Blondie heard from behind her, a tired voice. She smiled when Lia reached around and took her cigarette with her ringed hand. Lia took a whip and Blondie chuckled.

"Is that our kiss?"

"Hell no. Is that today already?" Lia questioned, sitting at the seat on the other side of the table.

Blondie took out the napkin from the back of her sketchbook. The napkin they wrote on in the diner they had their first meal together at. Blondie looked at it, looking for the right day number. She nodded in confirmation, "Today I dye my hair myself, and you get your first kiss. When do you wanna do it?"