Chapter 1: Welcome to the Isles

'Do you ever feel pain in your heart that not even God can heal?'

Pro-logue; pre-event

'Why am I still here? No one will miss me..'  Luz would ask herself everyday.

She was like a stranger in her own body, living on autopilot; waking up, going to school, come back home, sleep, repeat that process everyday. She felt as if she had no purpose in life. She knew that from a young age, countless relationships she has been in, either cheated on, or out of pity. Luz learned to live with it. 

She would wake up each morning and stare at herself with disgust and pity. She bought pills, tried overdosing, her mother found them and lectured her. Sometimes she would try to drown herself in the bath, but as usual her mother would always find her before things got to far.

Luz wanted to hope, just a little, that this was all a nightmare, that she would just wake up in her 13 year-old body and cry to her mom, with her being told it was alright, that it was just a bad dream, or drown herself in her Azura books, but no, everyday she woke up in her god forsaken 18 year-old body. She wasn't a kid anymore this, isn't a kid that, Luz had it rough growing up, constant pressure and judging eyes always on her. She constantly got beat up and tormented by bullies, so she learnt how to fight, and she fought back. But that didn't change anything. No matter where she went she would always be known as the wierd kid that had no friends. But she was fine without friends, she never needed them, they would just be friends with her out of pity.

Luz was suicidal. Camilla knew that, months, years, Camilla had spent, trying to get Luz to open up to her, or go to therapy, but every time Luz would deny it, saying she was perfectly fine, Camilla had stopped trying, the most she could do was buy Luz some anti-depressant pills. In hopes that Luz wouldn't try to overdose on them or that she would at least take them.

Luz was now heading to school, headphones on full blast phone in her pocket as she walked to that hell hole. She tried wearing her beanie, but she couldn't find it. She tried retracing her steps until she saw an owl wearing it. She ran after the owl, till she found herself in an abandoned house, isolated by the woods. Fear was one of the things that would run through anybody's mind in that situation. 

Luz walked around and spotted the bird trying to pick up a red bat. She slowly walked over to the owl, picking it up as she calmly put her hand out for the owl. The owl tilted its head before using its beak to pull Luz to the door, opening it slightly, a blinding, bright, light came through as Luz opened the door fully.

She looked back to the owl who was now walking into the door, still with her beanie. She took in a deep, long, shaky breath as she stepped into the door, bat firmly in hand.

Luz POV:

I wasn't thinking when I stepped through that door. If that door led to hell, I might aswell burn, at least it's better than living my shitty life.

But no it was actually the opposite. I walked through the door and I saw the most beautiful scene in front of me.

It looked near evening, yet the streets were still bustling, different, creatures all shapes and sizes, people that looked like they were humans, except they had pointy ears.

"Wow... This is straight out of a fantasy book..." I said as the owl led me to a small house, kinda far from town, but it's cool, who doesn't like some peace and quiet from time to time?

There was this bird thing in the door, once they walked near the door, its' head sprung out from the door.

"HOOT! HOOT! HELLO NEW FRIEND!" The bird tube said as it lunged at my face, I stumbled a bit, causing me to fall.

"What the fuck is that!" I yelled, suddenly the doors flew open. A woman walked out, looking to be in her early forties or late thirties, she had wild grey hair, she was slightly taller than me. She sighed rubbing her temples before walking towards me, helping me up as I dusted myself down.

"You lost kid?" She spoke as she sat down on her couch.

"I guess.. I mean I followed your owl and ended up here." I said as I looked around the place, my eyes landing on a wanted poster hanging up. My jaw dropped once I saw how much she was wanted for. She followed my eyes and laughed a bit.

"Well I think I should introduce myself. My name's Eda but the folks know me as The Owl Lady, and I am the most powerful witch in the boiling isles!" She spoke with a smug grin.

"Hold on for a minute. Witch? Like magic casting witch?" I spoke with disbelief. She smiled widely, nodding her head. I could feel the excitement bubbling up in me as I slowly started to smile widely, feeling like my 14 year-old self again.

"And you my friend are?" She said as she sat back down. The owl resting on her shoulder.

"Luz Noceda.." I said as she got up and led me to an empty room. There just being a mattress and some blankets.

"Well kid, you're gonna be here for a while so I suggest you get comfy till I find you a way back home." She spoke, as she was about to leave, I stopped her.

"Wait! Could I stay here for a bit? I don't really have anything going for me back home..." She looked at me for a second before walking over to me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"In that case kid... Welcome to the isles, I do hope you enjoy your stay. If you want I could teach you some magic and enroll you in a school where you could learn some." She said as she walked back to the door.

"Ye that would be nice, thank you.." She gave me a small smile, telling me that dinner would be ready soon if I wanted some. 

'Wow.. A place with witches... Maybe this could be my fresh start..' I thought to myself as I slowly laid down on the bed, closing my eyes and drifting of to sleep.

________________________________

Hey everyone! this book is starting off angst-y.

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! I thought of writing this one when I had writers block for my other book! 

Word count: 1110 words