«Prologue»

———————————
"It looked at her, it saw her, it actually saw her. No thing had ever looked right at her during her dreams."
———————————

———————————PROLOGUE———————————

———————————
PROLOGUE
———————————

The minute Daenys opened her eyes, she found herself at the edge of a plain. Immediately she was on high alert as she heard a sound she recognised. The sound of flickering flames. She didn't even have time to react as a huge wave of fire aimed her way. Daenys trembled before immediately fleeing the field she was standing on as the fire licked at her feet. She knew the fire couldn't harm her. The fire never did. But somehow, for some reason she did not know, it scared her this time. She fled the field and caught her breath. She was dreaming again. She had only closed her eyes for a mere second and had yet found herself dreaming again. She trembled slightly. These dreams would be the death of her one day.. they kept on worsening.

A hum drew her attention. Slowly, the girl looked around. She found that she was in a long extended snow covered field. Her breath gulped in her throat and she let out a shaky breath. Far ahead of her was a large forest. The hum sounded just a little louder than it did last time. Daenys furrowed her brows and cocked her head to the side as she listened. She heard the low bushes rustle, as if something was coming her way. She shuddered, although she didn't even feel cold. It was a strange feeling. She could feel the warmth flooding through her body, but at the same time she felt so frozen..

Knowing it was another of her dreams she decided to follow the hum anyway, one step at a time as her curiosity took the best of her. Before realizing it, she found herself standing right in front of the forest. From far behind her, she distinctly heard a wolf howling in the night sky as dragons roared in the skies. Now, many more voices grew louder as she heard the low bushes rustle. Daenys drew in a sharp breath. And then she froze. A pair of glowing blue eyes stared at her from within the snowy forest. A lifeless creature with a pale skin stared straight at her. It lifted its head slightly.

It looked at her. It saw her. It actually saw her..
No thing had ever looked right at her during her dreams.

Daenys took a step backward. The creature wore a suit, made of ice. It had a crown on its head as it lifted its spear straight at her. It saw her. Daenys felt terrified. It wasn't alone. And it saw her..

Daenys' heart started to speed up as fear started to sweep into her. The creature in front of the group started to move. It went straight at her. A scream left Daenys' lips as she tried to move but found her body not responding. Damn it! Move! She tought in fear but nothing happend. A shocked scream left the corner of her lips the moment the creature was mere seconds away from her, it's icy blue eyes piercing into her soul before its spear disappeared deep into her chest. Daenys choked.

"Daenys.. Daenys wake up! For heaven's sake!"

Someone shook her harshly. "Daenys!"

With a jolt, Daenys sat up straight in her bed. Her heart was racing with fear. Beside her, her adopted mother, Rhaenys, sat on the edge of her bed while her maid, Eloria, looked at them with shaken eyes. Even Rhaenys had a troubled look in her own eyes. Daenys opened her mouth. But no sound came out. She gagged and grabbed at her throat with a hand. Tears formed in her eyes and she gagged again, unable to speak.

And then it happened.

A stream of frozen snow left her mouth as she vomited. She gasped in alarm as Eloria slapped her hand in front of her mouth in shock. Rhaenys, meanwhile, also looked startled, and a pair of hands grabbed Daenys' shoulders. Another layer of snow left her mouth before Daenys could finally breathe again. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she took a horrified breath. The pain had been real, she had felt the spear torn her flesh apart. Her mother held her tightly as she drew a breath. "Fuck..." came out of her mouth hoarsely. Eloria, meanwhile, silently offered a handkerchief before she softened backward to give Rhaenys and her daughter space. "Another one of your dreams?" the woman asked her worriedly. Daenys let out a nod as she sank into her mother's arms. She still felt frightened. She stiffened at the sound of a soft humming. As if the creature reverberated in her ears. As if it reminded her of the dream, taunting her.

Daenys glanced out of the window in her chambers. She took a last shaky breath as Rhaenys' warmth calmed her. The targaryen didn't utter a single word, knowing her daughter wouldn't have wanted her too. She did felt worried, horrified even, when she rushed into her daughters room and found her shaking in her bed while screaming in severe pain, her back aching. It had been a terrifying sight. And the worst thing? Rhaenys didn't know how to help. The only thing she would normally do was to awake her daughter and soothen her until she went back to sleep. But not like this. She had never experienced her daughter shaken and trembling in her bed. Rhaenys said nothing as she followed Daenys' gaze as the younger woman glanced at the sunrise outside her window.

Soon they'd had to leave for Kings Landing. But surely not while her daughter was in this state? Rhaenys pressed her lips against her daughters forehead and left a kiss before she swiped her hand across her daughter's face. As far as she knew, no other Targaryen alive at this point had the same dreams her daughter had.

And both her and Corlys had failed in calming down her daughter, she kept on having those dreams and They worsened with each week. This time it had been snow, which she had puked out. Another time it had been blood, leaving her arm eventhough the Maester hadn't found any wounds. Rhaenys hated it that Daenys had to go through it, she wanted her daughters pain to stop.

Both women looked up as the door opened and Daenys' adopted father rushed in. He glanced at his wife holding the girl in her arms and then at the puddle of water on the girls bed. He frowned but one glare of his wife stopped him from asking questions. "Will you get ready for kings landing, Daenys?" He carefully and friendly asked her.

Rhaenys opened her mouth the protest, surely Daenys wasn't in the kind of state to travel to Kings Landing. But her daughter nodded. "I will, father." She spoke in a rather raw voice. "I'll be up in a sec."

Lord Corlys left after giving his wife a stern gaze, wanting to know what had happend to their adopted daughter before sending Daenys a caring smile and silently leaving her chambers. Rhaenys sighed as Daenys got up as if nothing happend and started to get dressed. "You sure you're feeling well enough to go, sweetling?" She asked her daughter as she faced her mother with her back. "I'm sure Rhaenyra wouldn't mind if you waited one more day."

Daenys stiffened slightly after hearing her mothers words. With a hand she touched her chest and reminded her that it had just been a dream. Yes, it had been a terrifying and realistic dream, but after all: it was still a dream. Right..?

"No," she lied. "I'm fine. We can go, i've promised her i'd be there today." She glanced away and looked at the sunrise once more. Far away, she could vaguely recognise her brothers dragon SeaSmoke, flying through the air after Laenor had called for him. Daenys let out a sigh and decided to continue to get dressed while ignoring the chilly feeling and the dream she had.