«Chapter 1»

The sound of the waves splashing around her feet sounded like music to her ears as she walked barefoot in the undeep waters of one of the many beaches surrounding Hightide

The sound of the waves splashing around her feet sounded like music to her ears as she walked barefoot in the undeep waters of one of the many beaches surrounding Hightide. It helped her calm down as she walked on with closed eyes, enjoying the sunshine warming her body. Within half an hour she'd leave for Kings Landing. She'd stay there for as long as the tourney was supposed to last. And she'd probably continued to stay there as Rhaenyra had pleaded her to become her lady-in-waiting as an excuse for them to spend more time together.

It was not like Daenys didn't want to stay at Rhaenyra's side, she'd love to. But she was unsure how she could serve the princess when her own dreams disturbed her almost every night. So it was no wonder that her mother had basically forced her father to stop her from going. But Corlys had stood his ground. "The princess makes a wish, we provide" he had spoken, knowing the bond between Rhaenyra and his daughter.

Daenys glanced up from her thoughts as she heard Seasmoke's familiar cry as Leanor flew above her . Daenys smiled slightly at the sight of the dragon and her brother working as one. How it would be nice to have a dragon of her own.

She had one. An egg, when she was younger. But the egg never hatched. The counsel of Kings Landing then forbade her taming a dragon. As Otto claimed that if she truly were of Targaryens blood, the egg would've hatched. Which had angered her older sister Laena, who had yelled straight in Otto's face, telling him what kind of bullshit that was. Since she was of Targaryen blood and her egg also hadn't hatched. Laena had pointed out that it probably didn't take Targaryen blood to claim a dragon. But the counsel claimed that to be ridiculous. And due to Laena's outburst, otto managed to have Viserys forbid her to claim a dragon for another 10 years to teach her a lesson for threatening and cursing at the hand of the king.

It had been the start of House Velaryons dislike toward the Hightowers. And today, the endless discussions between Otto and Corlys would probably start again. Eventhough her parents tried to keep their children away from the Stepstones as much as possible, Laenor, Laena and Daenys had heard the rumors of a triachy murdering every living pirate and sailor passing the cliffs. The crabs would eat them alive after their leader, Draghar, would stake them to the sand. It had been going on for a month now, and Corlys would attend one of the kings counsels to urge the matter. Speaking of Lord Corlys..

Daenys glanced up once again as she heard
her father call out her name from above. He stood on the top of the stairs leading towards the beach as he nodded towards the ship that lay ashore. It was time to go. Daenys walked out of the water, dried her feet and joined her father as they walked on towards the ship. Vaemond was already waiting for them. Daenys shivered slightly. She really didn't like her uncle. Before Rhaenys adopted her, he had tried to 'claim' her as his daughter as he noticed her beauty. Knowing he could easily marry her off to some wealthy man to gain more power in the Kingdom. Even now, as Rhaenys had often told him off, he still acted as if he was in charge of who she was with.
"Brother, niece." Her uncle greeted them before turning away from them and walking down further on the ship.