«Chapter 6»

~~~

A soft rattle sounded further down the DragonPit as the two Targaryens had impatiently found their way down Kings Landing. Daenys stood in the beginning of the Pit, hiding her silver hair underneath her cape and looking down at the ground.

Daemon had gone further in the dragonpit to get his dragon, Caraxes. And Daenys would be lying if she said she did not feel nervous. Eventhough she loved dragons, she never thought that the first dragon she got to ride would be Caraxes, the Red Blood-Wyrm. Known as a rather ruthless, huge and lean dragon, having fought in previous battles before. His first rider had been Aemon Targaryen, her Grandfather. After his passing, Caraxes remained riderless for a few years until Daemon claimed him.

The whistle of the Blood Wyrm caused the princess to finally glance up to see the mighty dragon enter the edge of the dragonpit, accompanied by his rider. Who walked beside him. With almost no dragonkeepers around.

The latter had surprised Daenys a bit. Whenever she picked up Rhaenyra from the pit, there would be plenty dragonkeepers around. But now, there were only three of them. As if the others had been called away to attend something rather important. There also hadn't been any nobles hanging around in kings landing when they had crossed the streets quickly and in silence. Whilst the harbors were still full of ships. The only people who however were hanging around them a lot were Gold Gloaks, lurking in the shadows, following every command Daemon bestowed upon them.

Something was clearly going on but Daenys wasn't sure what the matter was. There could be no way that someone had already found out about her absence, so whatever was troubling the castle had to have been something else.

And Daemon had denied her each time she brought the matter up. Claiming the nobles were probably hanging around in brothels, or stayed to earn a favor out of the king in the Red Keep. But Daenys knew that couldn't be true.

However, that had quickly become the least of her worries once Daemon nodded for her to approach his dragon. Caraxes had noticed her by now. The dragon let out rattles as she nervously walked towards Daemon. The beast followed her every movement with his right eye whilst his rider kept on shushing him. His grunts went louder and louder with each step she took. His big yellow eyes seemed to narrow as he scanned her as he gritted his teeth.

It was only then Daenys realised the dragon had grown weary of her dark cape, to which she kept herself hidden with. And before Daemon could stop her she took it of, letting her hair fall down her shoulders.

The sight of her silver hair calmed the Blood Wyrm the second he had eyed her silver locks. He let out soft rattles as she came closer and closer, until she stood next to the Targaryen prince: who had followed their interaction with his eyes.

Daenys took in the dragon in front of her, besides from Syrax, the blood wyrm was the first other dragon she had encountered. A dragon she had not grown up with. She knew all about Seasmoke's and Meleys' traits, knew how they reacted to her movements. And knew which movements they liked. Caraxes however was a totally different story. Just like Daemon, he could be unpredictable.

"Your hand," the rogue prince whispered after Caraxes let out a soft and impatient growl.

"Oh, right.." Daenys had been eyeing the dragon in front of her, admiring his red color. She allowed Daemon to guide her non-injured hand on Caraxes' skin. A shiver went through her as she felt his scales underneath the palm of her left hand. Daemon held her hand there for a few seconds before he led go, watching the targaryen as she chuckled and even exchanged a glance with the Blood Wyrm as she caressed him gently.